Dripping system suggestions

jack_wardayyyy

Established Member
Hi everyone!

I just got an exo terra large dripping plant for my Cham but I’ve found after a few days I’m coming home to a very wet substrate with a couple of puddles. I sometimes get it right so it doesn’t splash all over but I’m struggling to get it right consistently and it’s a hard job to lay paper towels without disturbing his lay out too much

Has anyone got any suggestions or set ups of their own that allow for the dripping system to not splash everywhere and drench the floor while?

All help will be greatly appreciated and thank you for reading :)
IMG_5006.jpeg

I haven’t used that dripping system, I have a little dripper and before that I used just a cup with a pin hole poked in the bottom and I never had excesses of water so I wonder if that particular system just lets too much water out? Maybe try just a cup like I did?

I haven’t used that dripping system, I have a little dripper and before that I used just a cup with a pin hole poked in the bottom and I never had excesses of water so I wonder if that particular system just lets too much water out? Maybe try just a cup like I did?
With the little dripper you are able to control the drip to a degree as well? So maybe one of those two might be a better option?

I’m not sure I’ve seen the Exo Terra dripping plant, but usually those are similar to fountains and recirculate the water, in which bacteria builds up. Even when kept clean, they aren’t generally recommended. The Big and Little drippers are a pain in the butt to get the adjustment right. It’s either not enough or flows too much. A good dripper that costs next to nothing is a plastic party cup with a pinhole in the bottom. The drip rate should be just right, it will drip for just a short time (which is ideal) and won’t flood your enclosure since it only holds a certain amount of water. Another way is to put a handful of ice cubes on the top of the screen top which will drip as they melt. Regardless of what you use for dripping, you will still need a way to manage the drainage. You can put a plant in the drip spot. Some place a small bowl to catch the excess.

I use the same system as @Beppo. I only put in the amount of water that I want dripping in the enclosure so its controlled.

Awesome, thank you all so much, I am either going to get another dripper which is more effective for the area around it or double up on my substrate and plant a couple of plants. If I opt for putting a few real plants in to make use of the water will I need anything else in there such as spring tails? I have no drainage system ATM and have been using paper towels to soak up all the wetness.

If it would be possible to plant a few real plants and they help with soaking up water that would be awesome. I would then also have to find a way to clean the dripper plant well enough that it does not have a bacteria build up. I have found that he has defecated in the bowl a couple of times so this is a current issue as well.

Awesome, thank you all so much, I am either going to get another dripper which is more effective for the area around it or double up on my substrate and plant a couple of plants. If I opt for putting a few real plants in to make use of the water will I need anything else in there such as spring tails? I have no drainage system ATM and have been using paper towels to soak up all the wetness.

If it would be possible to plant a few real plants and they help with soaking up water that would be awesome. I would then also have to find a way to clean the dripper plant well enough that it does not have a bacteria build up. I have found that he has defecated in the bowl a couple of times so this is a current issue as well.
You’ll need to create a full drainage system if you add soil and a clean up crew. Otherwise your plants will get root rot and your enclosure will become bacterial laden and just foul. Going fully bioactive isn’t a complicated thing, but it does need to be done correctly. There’s lots of different ways to do it, but here are the basics.
Before starting, you’ll need a piece of pvc pipe that you’ll add some notches to one end. Place it notch side down in an area of the enclosure that is easy to get to. It’s best to have a cap on it too. Then you’ll start adding everything around it.
Clay balls or lava rock - whichever is available to you for the drainage layer. Cover with landscape fabric, screening or other similar item to separate your soil from drainage rocks. You can add a layer of charcoal, which will not only add a filtration layer but your springtails will love it for breeding. Then add your substrate mix. You can buy ABG mix or make your own with topsoil, sand, orchid bark, horticultural charcoal (if not using a filtration layer), chopped sphagnum moss and coco coir. Plant whatever you like in the soil. Top it all with a nice healthy layer of leaf litter and you can add other botanicals like seed pods, bark and whatever else you like. Add some hearty isopods and springtails and that’s it. Although they’ll eat the leaf litter, I like to give some veggie scraps to my clean up crew just to help them get started and every now and then.
BD5ABF3A-216E-4666-9126-734773171613.jpeg

Awesome! Thank you so much, I’m going to look into buying his bigger viv this week and then get that set up to be bioactive you’ve fully sold it to me and the idea that he’s living in a more real world is such a nicer thought :) also the help from the clean up crew will be huge for the days I’m at work as I am always worried I’m coming home to a wet enclosure or his poop in his water!

Back
Top Bottom