Dripper Questions

Echoezra

Established Member
Okay, more questions, lol, I'll try to keep this one shorter. wish me luck.

As far as the dripper goes, I was planning to go homemade at first to see how it goes, troubleshoot, find out what I like and don't like. I found a couple good threads on that so I think I can rig up something decent, with a little hose coming down to position where I want. Now the question is, where do I want?
Actually the real question is, do I want it in only one spot? I could very easily set up two hoses running out of one dripper to different plants, or different spots on the same plant? Or set up 2 drippers on opposite sides with 2 spots on each? Is more locations better cause of more opportunities? One near their basking spot, one down lower? left side, right side? ??? Run them all at same time, or take turns at different spots? Do you want it raining everywhere, or drink from this plant now.

or do you want to train them to go to one certain spot for some reason, like if you wanted to spike that spot with medicine or electrolytes or something someday? Or do you generally do that kind of stuff by syringe so they won't go "off" their water? I would think you wouldn't want to get them stuck on just one plant, if only because what if that plant dies or something and they only recognize that one leaf in that one spot? and then might stop drinking if you messed with their special drinking spot?

Also, okay so I know you're supposed to mist with warm water, and not melt ice as dripper cause it's too cold. Do you ideally want this dripper water coming out warm as well? Because then maybe it would be best to go with smaller sized containers so that I could keep refilling with warm water, rather than have a large just that's warm for 5 minutes then gets cold for the last 85% of the water.
Opinions, folks?
Thanks,
Melissa

I wouldnt use ice but I wouldnt worry about warm water either. I will ocassionaly hand mist my guys with warm water as a treat. Their primary water source is my pro mist system in which I use room temp water and they seem fine with it. Imho the simpler the better.

Okay, more questions, lol, I'll try to keep this one shorter. wish me luck.

As far as the dripper goes, I was planning to go homemade at first to see how it goes, troubleshoot, find out what I like and don't like. I found a couple good threads on that so I think I can rig up something decent, with a little hose coming down to position where I want. Now the question is, where do I want?
Actually the real question is, do I want it in only one spot? I could very easily set up two hoses running out of one dripper to different plants, or different spots on the same plant? Or set up 2 drippers on opposite sides with 2 spots on each? Is more locations better cause of more opportunities? One near their basking spot, one down lower? left side, right side? ??? Run them all at same time, or take turns at different spots? Do you want it raining everywhere, or drink from this plant now.

or do you want to train them to go to one certain spot for some reason, like if you wanted to spike that spot with medicine or electrolytes or something someday? Or do you generally do that kind of stuff by syringe so they won't go "off" their water? I would think you wouldn't want to get them stuck on just one plant, if only because what if that plant dies or something and they only recognize that one leaf in that one spot? and then might stop drinking if you messed with their special drinking spot?

Also, okay so I know you're supposed to mist with warm water, and not melt ice as dripper cause it's too cold. Do you ideally want this dripper water coming out warm as well? Because then maybe it would be best to go with smaller sized containers so that I could keep refilling with warm water, rather than have a large just that's warm for 5 minutes then gets cold for the last 85% of the water.
Opinions, folks?
Thanks,
Melissa

Woah, lots of questions! Lol! Well, as far as the dripper goes. I think it would be a good idea to keep the dripper in one spot just so he knows where to go when he wants to drink. I'm not sure if it'll mess with is "special drinking spot" if you move it around but i'm sure he'd find it if you did. YOu can move it to drip into the potted plant when you need to water it and drip it out when you don't. My guy seems to find it no matter where the water is coming from. I have 2 hoses on my dripper and sometimes i'd let both run and sometimes just one. Now that I have 2 Chams I have one hose on each cage. The dripper water is fine being room temp. since your Cham won't be getting blasted by it but certainly not ice cold.

Here are a few pictures of my dripper. I also got the basic ideas from a thread here but rigged it a little for my liking.

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

Yeah, lol, sorry I tend to do that, I'll have one main question in my head and then as I'm writing it I'll like offer all the potential answers I'm expecting, as more questions, which ends up makin me look like I dont have a clue. Lol

I started with a plastic cup with a small hole in the bottom. It worked really well for really long time. I upgraded when I moved some things around and needed a tube to reach the leaves. You want the water to drip on some leaves that are easily accesible (next to a branch or something) so your cham has something to drink off of. And you can have multiple areas that drip, but don't move them around. Stick to the same area/s so your cham knows where to get water. Mine get confused if their water moves...silly lizards.

Well that's what I was thinking, that I wouldnt want to move it around all the time, but maybe one spot only wouldn't be good. I was thinking more like two plants that got dripped on. But maybe alternate them, drip on #1 for an hour, drip on #2 later in the day?

Back
Top Bottom