Drinking water but not eating anymore

I bought my meller as a 6 " baby, they sent me a 20" adult. Bumped up and eye closed. Wasn't eating or drinking. Took him to vet. They gave him 2 weeks meds - baytril and meloxicam. A week after he began to eat and drink. All of asudden he stopped eating and drinking. Eventually he drank and that's going good still. Thought mayb parasite. So I syringe feed him careful as possible . Get# 2 sample. Take to vet and nothing found. Should I just take him back to vet?Maybe just give him time? Try meds again? Any advice would be great
Ambient 70
Bask 82
Reptisun 5.0
100 watt bask- position high
Umbrella tree and bamboo sticks
Humidity 60-80

It sounds like your doing what you can. You could try offering some variety in his diet and see if he takes to anything else. Monitor if he is using the bathroom and just keep making sure you pump the water to him. Some chameleons will do hunger strikes for various reasons. Good luck to you

Did your chameleon get infusions additionally to Enrofloxacin and Meloxicam, too? Both medication can have bad effects on kidneys and chameleons are sensitive to renal issues, that's why they always should be well hydrated during treatment.

Was there any blood work done? Any further diagnostics? Thought there have to be reasons for which your chameleons gets antibiotics and NSAIDs besides not eating or drinking. What was your vet's diagnosis?

No infusions but they said the bumps were probably due to fractures.i gave him showers daily, I hope starts eating again . Hope kidneys aren't all messed up, well thanx I will keep ya posted

No infusions but they said the bumps were probably due to fractures.

Ok, so he had fractures and that's probably why he got the medication. Do you know whether the fractures were caused by poor mineralization or made by humans grabbing the chameleon, a hard fall down somewhere etc.? Were x-rays done to differentiate both? A (fresh) fracture doesn't heal properly in only 14 to 21 days, and especially not in reptiles with their slow metabolism. So it's possible he still needs support and treatment concerning this issue only seeing the facts given 'til now.

Well, as you see, there can be some more reasons why he doesn't eat. It's all about some more background information and details, then forum members can help you and your chameleon way better.

He is wc so I'm assuming he was gripped up from a branch and maybe that caused fracture. No X-rays were taken. Kinda strapped for cash at the moment. He barely moves . At this point I will continue to water him and hope he gets better. I dunno what else to do

Yeah if coin is an issue, try differant foods. I have had WC Mellers spring to life for a big fat roach. So excited they would flap their little neck/head flappy things. You are doing what you can, good work!:)

What kind of insects have you tried using? If it wont accept the usual crickets and supers/mealworms, have you tried using big silkworms/butterworms/hornworms? Or any flying foods (like blue bottle flies?) Some chameleons wont eat the usual (borning) feeders but will eat the big juicy worms or colorful/flying bugs. Plus using some soft worms with a high water content will help with hydration (and you can inject the meds into them if it is a liquid.)

Bumped up? Fractures? But no X-rays to see if it's healed (wherever it is that we are even talking about) or needs stabilization?

Sounds to me like he really needs rads for his "bumps".

o—

What are rads?? The dr. Extented all of his limbs but said the bumps were possible fractures so prescribed meds to make him feel better. The only thing he ever ate from me was roaches, and then crickets. I offered a hornworm to, he didn't go for it. I will have to offer some other food yo stimulate appetite like you guys said, maybe mantis or katydid, something green . The last time he ate a roach which was a while ago he puked it up.you think maybe the meds messed up his stomach ??

What are rads?? The dr. Extented all of his limbs but said the bumps were possible fractures so prescribed meds to make him feel better. The only thing he ever ate from me was roaches, and then crickets. I offered a hornworm to, he didn't go for it. I will have to offer some other food yo stimulate appetite like you guys said, maybe mantis or katydid, something green . The last time he ate a roach which was a while ago he puked it up.you think maybe the meds messed up his stomach ??

rads=radiographs=xrays. it’s unclear at this point where they are, how many there are, and how fresh they are. realize that if there are one or multiple active fractures you will not have a thriving chameleon, no matter what you offer it.

Ok thanks looks like I gotta make another vet appointment , this time I will get some radiographs- I'll keep ya posted

I would do that if that's what they advised last time. if they did but $$ was tight then definitely do it if you now can. if they didn't, either they didn't feel it was necessary, or they don't know much about xraying chams in which case you need another vet. you really need to fill in some of these missing blanks here; I have been making assumption after assumption, but not necessarily giving good advice.

Do you think baytril damaged his kidneys and liver so he won't eat now?? Sorry about not being more specific. Basically there is a number of problems. Swelling or bumps on area between knee and foot. My other concern is he is not eating anymore. After the 2 weeks of batril and meloxican he stopped eating. I know hydration is key so I mist and give daily showers. His left eye is clamped shut since I had him. The vet gave me eye droPs. Looked like he started to open his eye couple weeks ago, but not anymore. I have had him about 5 weeks. It is frustrating , I dedicate a lot of time to him

Back
Top Bottom