Drift wood?!

parisaurusrex

I've noticed that the dowels I have in Ziggy's cage are too small for him. He sometimes swings upside down on them by accident when he's in a hurry! My assumption is that his little zygodactlyous tootsies are too big, and he can't get enough grip! Even if that's wrong, I'm updating his home. It's only been a week, but I think its time for change!

One of the advantages of living on the beautiful puget sound is free wood! Free wood that looks cool and all worn down. Drift wood! I've read up on how to de-parasite and sanitize it, but I'm curious to hear about personal experiences.
What my plan of attack is -
_soak the pieces in a bleach solution for 24 hours: ½ cup bleach per gallon of water
_after first 24 hours, drain bleach water and fill tub with fresh clean water to leach the bleach ( :p ): repeat process a few times a day for a few days until the bleach is non existant.

Sound good? I know this is what most places say to do, but i'd rather have the opinions of people with experience!

If you have pics of your enclosure with drift wood, I'd LOVE to see it!!

That sounds like a good idea to me. I tend to get all my branch from drift wood that washes up along a river that is close to my house. I pick the ones with no bark on them so they are easy to clean.

You have more patience than me as I just soak them in antibacterial cleaner and water for a few hours and then bake them in the oven. I've never had any issues with this method and I can place them in the cage the next day.

Back
Top Bottom