Draining.... :/

alyssapetrocco

I currently have a screen cage that is 30x30x48in. The bottom is a pvc type botton that can be taken out. When misting, not only do my plants get water loged, but the bottom of the cage puddles with lots of nasty water. Any ideas of how to drain the water out easily? i have to large containers that catch water, but then it takes me FOREVER to suction it out with a turky baster like 1000 times a day!!! .:mad:

easiest way is to drill some small holes in the pvc bottom and get a pan to go underneath. If your real handy you could drill one large hole and slope the bottom of the cage to funnel water into it down a drain and into a catch container.

Drill hole on bottom of tray, to appropriate size (a tad smaller than a plastic hose you plan to use). Insert, seal around hose, and run into your bucket that you can dump at a later time.

I currently have a screen cage that is 30x30x48in. The bottom is a pvc type botton that can be taken out. When misting, not only do my plants get water loged, but the bottom of the cage puddles with lots of nasty water. Any ideas of how to drain the water out easily? i have to large containers that catch water, but then it takes me FOREVER to suction it out with a turky baster like 1000 times a day!!! .:mad:

If the pvc bottom has any flex to it you can place your pots or larger rocks in the center so it creates a bit of a depressed area. Then drill a drain hole and place a bucket underneath. The water will travel to the depression and into the drain. If the bottom is too rigid, you could possibly heat the pvc and bend it. You could also try tipping the cage to direct the accumulated water toward a drain hole maybe once a day. Use a bead of silicone around the other 3 sides of the bottom to help direct the water where you want it to go.

A really low-tech way to do it is to get some rectangular (the narrow ends reach around plant pots easier) floor mop sponge refills and sweep one all over the bottom to suck up the accumulated water each evening.

Back
Top Bottom