Drainage

Flick boy

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi was going to get 3ft wide viv but the company only does drain trays for 2ft vivs. ( going to be bio) any ideas for drainage. Other than a couple of water excess drain pipes . Don't want something that's going to be a headache. Maybe just easier going for the 2ft with drainage tray .

I use fabric root pouches like these. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09X3VQR1...&colid=RATU5HRCLXAV&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1 They come in various sizes and can easily be gathered and tucked if needing to get one too large. I do have substrate trays beneath them and waterproof barrier (tarp) just in case, but so far I don’t believe it’s been an issue. Many keepers also use pond liner to contain drainage, but then you’ll need to set up a way to remove excess water.

I use fabric root pouches like these. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09X3VQR1...&colid=RATU5HRCLXAV&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1 They come in various sizes and can easily be gathered and tucked if needing to get one too large. I do have substrate trays beneath them and waterproof barrier (tarp) just in case, but so far I don’t believe it’s been an issue. Many keepers also use pond liner to contain drainage, but then you’ll need to set up a way to remove excess water.

Thanks yeah it's not water containment I'm worried about ,just excess water, was thinking two drainage pipes up the back ,as I would like to get as large an enclosure as I can going to be for a male panther, but don't want a swamp , a member of another group said once their bio was established their plant roots lapped it up and have no issues, just want to be sure . Thank you

I keep dart frogs and I have a false bottom which is lined, all the soil and isopods and springtails are added with a pipe which I use for draining out the water with a turkey baster, works a treat.

I just listened to a Chameleon Academy podcast where the guest did bioactive enclosures for his chameleons. I know he did some kind of drainage...but I don't recall how....

Bioactive Naturalistic Vivariums with Ferdy Timmerman - Thursday August 25th, 2022

I keep dart frogs and I have a false bottom which is lined, all the soil and isopods and springtails are added with a pipe which I use for draining out the water with a turkey baster, works a treat.
I'd keep an eye on that baster don't want Christmas going wrong 🤣

Can always call your local HVAC shop and have a sheet metal drain pan made to your exact dimensions. That is what I'm having done since it seems a 2x4 drain pan is harder to come by then one would possibly imagine...

OY, realized just now this thread was dredged back up from March 🤯

I just listened to a Chameleon Academy podcast where the guest did bioactive enclosures for his chameleons. I know he did some kind of drainage...but I don't recall how....

Bioactive Naturalistic Vivariums with Ferdy Timmerman - Thursday August 25th, 2022
That was very interesting thank you. Us dart frog people have ditched the balls for lining the cage we all have moved on to egg crates, that way the soil is never sat in the wet and the water drains through, so you never get any smell, I have been keeping frogs this way for a few years and they are all laying and are really healthy, so I know this symptom works. This will be the way I will go for my chameleon when I get one. Thank you again. Chameleon academy is where I am learning about keeping chams, I need to get the paludarium first. Do you think 90x45x90 will be a good size. Thank you for your help.

Can always call your local HVAC shop and have a sheet metal drain pan made to your exact dimensions. That is what I'm having done since it seems a 2x4 drain pan is harder to come by then one would possibly imagine...

OY, realized just now this thread was dredged back up from March 🤯
Thank you. We make are own egg crates to any size. You buy them off Amazon. 👍

That was very interesting thank you. Us dart frog people have ditched the balls for lining the cage we all have moved on to egg crates, that way the soil is never sat in the wet and the water drains through, so you never get any smell, I have been keeping frogs this way for a few years and they are all laying and are really healthy, so I know this symptom works. This will be the way I will go for my chameleon when I get one. Thank you again. Chameleon academy is where I am learning about keeping chams, I need to get the paludarium first. Do you think 90x45x90 will be a good size. Thank you for your help.
Are you measuring in centimeters or inches?

Thank you. We make are own egg crates to any size. You buy them off Amazon. 👍

That reply wasn't directed to you lol but you're welcome anyways and...

If you're referring to grid light diffusers they're great for the drain-through, but I'm talking about the actually catch.

Just FYI, those light diffusers ( egg crate style ) can be picked up from any home depot, menards, lowes, electrical supply house in a 2x4 panel. Might even be cheaper then buying through Amazon. I bought mine for my build from Menards for $12.

Back
Top Bottom