drainage

instead of a drainage system could i just wipe
down the base after every hand misting? and have a place where my dripper can drip into a small container?

I'm also wondering how one would *create* a proper drainage system in a habitat with live plants like hibiscus? (Can you just mist hibiscus or do you have to actually water)

instead of a drainage system could i just wipe
down the base after every hand misting? and have a place where my dripper can drip into a small container?
The problem with having the dripper collect in a small container is that it will eventually become a bacterial soup. I believe Dragon Strand sells a special drainage collection tray. You may want to look into that. I wouldn’t think you’d be needing to wipe down the base after misting. You should mostly be misting the plant leaves and what little makes it down to the base should evaporate relatively quickly.

I'm also wondering how one would *create* a proper drainage system in a habitat with live plants like hibiscus? (Can you just mist hibiscus or do you have to actually water)
Plants do need to be watered...misting doesn’t generally provide enough. For drainage, I have drilled a set of holes in the base of my Repti Breeze and have a collection bucket beneath it. It helps that I also have the Repti Breeze stand, which is a supportive frame rather than a solid surface.

Plants do need to be watered...misting doesn’t generally provide enough. For drainage, I have drilled a set of holes in the base of my Repti Breeze and have a collection bucket beneath it. It helps that I also have the Repti Breeze stand, which is a supportive frame rather than a solid surface.
Agreed. I usually just move my dripper around at every fill to water each of the plants.

The problem with having the dripper collect in a small container is that it will eventually become a bacterial soup. I believe Dragon Strand sells a special drainage collection tray. You may want to look into that. I wouldn’t think you’d be needing to wipe down the base after misting. You should mostly be misting the plant leaves and what little makes it down to the base should evaporate relatively quickly.
could i try having the dripper go straight into a large plant?

What do people use for their drainage systems? I was thinking just a terra cotta base under the plants and a little plastic tray under that so that I can replace it in case it gets too dirty...

I advice a drainage system.... If you are misting for the longer duration times (2-3 minutes) then you will need it. I have a dragon strand drain pan. All my plants are elevated and nothing is on my floor. I run a mist king, humidifier at night, and a dripper. And I have quite a bit of water run off to where I have to wet vac the pan every other day.

Dragon strand now makes a universal drainage pan which will accommodate a 16x16 up to a 24x24 cage. https://dragonstrand.com/alternative-cage-manufaturers/

You could use clay pots on the bottom which will help absorb moisture from the pan but I still think having a wet vac is important.

I will have a bioactive setup because I have a glass enclosure. I have a pvc pipe that goes down to the drainage layer so that I can siphon the water out of the bottom. I wasn’t originally planning on this, but when I tested my mister for a day, I had a pool of water at the bottom already.

They sell reptibreeze drain pans that sit in the cage.

As well as the already mentioned DS drainage that sits outside.

I advice a drainage system.... If you are misting for the longer duration times (2-3 minutes) then you will need it. I have a dragon strand drain pan. All my plants are elevated and nothing is on my floor. I run a mist king, humidifier at night, and a dripper. And I have quite a bit of water run off to where I have to wet vac the pan every other day.

Dragon strand now makes a universal drainage pan which will accommodate a 16x16 up to a 24x24 cage. https://dragonstrand.com/alternative-cage-manufaturers/

You could use clay pots on the bottom which will help absorb moisture from the pan but I still think having a wet vac is important.
Thanks! i’m going to just go with the dragon strand pan. do i need to drill holes in the bottom of the cage for it to work?

I dream about getting some Dragon Strand enclosures. Not in the budget yet though. (Stupid adult responsibilities ?)
I feel ya on that.... I love the one I have but I want a bigger one and the hybrid version for Beman :hilarious: I would like to win the lottery now please. :LOL: Then be like Ellen " You get a brand new DS! And you and you and you too!"

Back
Top Bottom