Drainage tray ideas.

KittyRIOT

I know there's a whole thread of ideas, but I haven't found any specific to what I'm looking for.

I have a ReptiBreeze XL and a three drawer dresser from Walmart. The dresser's dimensions are not the same as the enclosure and the bottom of it pushes through when I try to sit it on top. 😅 I obviously didn't think it through entirely.

I saw in the other thread that someone used the dresser but the details weren't complete and the person is no longer active.

My question is, has anyone done anything similar? Any ideas for a way to fit it on the stupid dresser and a tray I can make that will help?

I did, yes. As I mentioned, I got my idea from there, it just didn't give anymore information than just the dresser that was used.

What I have now is going to be temporary, I just need it to function properly until I can find a permanent solution. 😊
👍🏻👍🏻 Maybe a picture from the situation? This helps visualizing and creativity, there’s always a solution 😉

I know there's a whole thread of ideas, but I haven't found any specific to what I'm looking for.

I have a ReptiBreeze XL and a three drawer dresser from Walmart. The dresser's dimensions are not the same as the enclosure and the bottom of it pushes through when I try to sit it on top. 😅 I obviously didn't think it through entirely.

I saw in the other thread that someone used the dresser but the details weren't complete and the person is no longer active.

My question is, has anyone done anything similar? Any ideas for a way to fit it on the stupid dresser and a tray I can make that will help?
I think you're looking for an after-market drain pan(?)
https://www.google.com/search?q=25+...UYQ80KHY_qDZ0Q_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1024&bih=625

Some use washing machine drain pans.

Some previous threads from the archives:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/drainage-for-xl-reptibreeze.139757/#post-1196034
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/reptibreeze-xl-drainage-base.140289/
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiBreeze-Substrate-X-Large/dp/B0164R03RW

I haven’t tried the plastic drawer route (asusming your dresser drawers are the plastic kind?), but I use a Diversitech condensate drainage pan from Supply House:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Diversi...UezI11sq8AFc2PdyMRJomHvSddHvSG2oaAiQXEALw_wcB

The inside dimensions are 26” x 26”, so my Reptibreeze XL fits inside of it quite nicely. I currently have it sitting on 4 plastic caps that screwed onto the bottom of planter pots I bought from Home Depot, but 2” high washing machine feet should prop your cage up above the bottom surface of the pan so it isn’t sitting in standing water. Something like this would work: https://www.amazon.com/Amytalk-Canc...eywords=Appliance+feet&qid=1627207119&sr=8-54

My Diversitech drain pan came with a PVC pipe fitting and a hole pre-drilled for it, but when I tested it out I found water sat just below the bottom lip of the pipe. My plan is to get a pvc pipe fitting the same size, cap off the one that came with the pan and drill a hole into the bottom on the front left side (that seems to be the direction water wants to go in with my set up. I have the back of the pan raised slightly forward with a couple pieces of foamboard). If you try using this same pan, I definitely recommend drilling a hole in the bottom over relying on the fitting that came with it to drain water out. The pvc pipe that came with it is 3/4’ in size, so I want to say you’d need a 1 1/8” hole to fit a same sized PVC pipe into the bottom of the pan.

@Tawannapc uses a drain pan quite similar to mine, but she lines it with pond stones and bricks to divert water toward the drain pipe: https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...orry-to-keep-asking-so-many-questions.183302/

Last edited:
👍🏻👍🏻 Maybe a picture from the situation? This helps visualizing and creativity, there’s always a solution 😉
I took a photo but forgot to attach it! It's a bit of a disaster at the moment and the inside isn't finished at all so just ignore that lol.

Attachments

• E6F52BE6-FEC8-4945-B12C-4CFFB35A8420.jpeg
    E6F52BE6-FEC8-4945-B12C-4CFFB35A8420.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 132
I took a photo but forgot to attach it! It's a bit of a disaster at the moment and the inside isn't finished at all so just ignore that lol.
Much better. We have a couple of sets of those drawers—one under each encosure table—for storing "supplies". Definitely not large enough to use as a drainage pan, though you could probably put one on top. You might be able to use one of the drawers for a drainage bucket (collected from a pan above) but water can get heavy and IDT those drawers were designed/intended for that kind of weight. There might also be an issue if someone accidentally bumps/walks into the enclosure.

Personally, I thing a larger base is called for—perhaps one that the drawers can fit underneath for storage. Something with 4 legs/that won't be top-heavy. Ikea?

https://www.google.com/search?q=24+...WYZs0KHTozBp0Q_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1024&bih=625

I tried to do the exact thing you’re doing but after buying the little plastic dresser and putting the reptibreeze on top I didn’t trust the dresser to be able to hold it and any water that would drain into the top drawer. It was just too flimsy in my mind. I went to a goodwill and bought a small table similar in size to the reptibreeze then I ordered a washing machine drain pan from the same place planet remulak did because it was the cheapest place. I then added two metal caps under the back legs of the table to angle it forward a little bit, i put the drainage tray on top of the table. I bought 4 pvc pieces , I don’t know what they’re for but I knew they’d work for this, and set them in the 4 corners of the drainage tray, I set my reptibreeze on top of them. I then drilled small holes in a drain configuration in the bottom of my reptibreeze, then I drilled a series of small holes in a short line in the front bottom of the drainage tray and put a bucket under it to catch the water and it works great! If you plan on using a mist king, which is awesome by the way, then you’ll need to either use a shower curtain around 3 sides of your reptibreeze or use window shrink wrap around it to prevent water from getting on your walls or floor. That was the easiest way to do it for me and everyone here helped me figure this out. I have them to thank for it. Here is a picture. I have since cut off the excess plastic along the sides so it looks nice and neat And I tuck the bottom edges of the plastic into the drainage tray all the way around.

Attachments

• 43DAA08D-4059-4719-8F02-1CE6C92DA456.jpeg
    43DAA08D-4059-4719-8F02-1CE6C92DA456.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 120
  • ED9C33AE-90C0-4502-B99D-F9D7137C7F5A.jpeg
    ED9C33AE-90C0-4502-B99D-F9D7137C7F5A.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 108
Much better. We have a couple of sets of those drawers—one under each encosure table—for storing "supplies". Definitely not large enough to use as a drainage pan, though you could probably put one on top. You might be able to use one of the drawers for a drainage bucket (collected from a pan above) but water can get heavy and IDT those drawers were designed/intended for that kind of weight. There might also be an issue if someone accidentally bumps/walks into the enclosure.

Personally, I thing a larger base is called for—perhaps one that the drawers can fit underneath for storage. Something with 4 legs/that won't be top-heavy. Ikea?

https://www.google.com/search?q=24+...WYZs0KHTozBp0Q_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1024&bih=625
I've checked so many websites, including marketplace on FB. Those stands linked might work, I was try to find drawers included but everything is so expensive just for a stand.

I only decided on that because I saw it on the thread pinned and it seemed to work for them but I'm not sure. It's definitely temporary. I'll be looking for a better stand and intend to keep an eye on the one I have. If I feel it's too flimsy, will he be fine on the floor until I find something else?

I tried to do the exact thing you’re doing but after buying the little plastic dresser and putting the reptibreeze on top I didn’t trust the dresser to be able to hold it and any water that would drain into the top drawer. It was just too flimsy in my mind. I went to a goodwill and bought a small table similar in size to the reptibreeze then I ordered a washing machine drain pan from the same place planet remulak did because it was the cheapest place. I then added two metal caps under the back legs of the table to angle it forward a little bit, i put the drainage tray on top of the table. I bought 4 pvc pieces , I don’t know what they’re for but I knew they’d work for this, and set them in the 4 corners of the drainage tray, I set my reptibreeze on top of them. I then drilled small holes in a drain configuration in the bottom of my reptibreeze, then I drilled a series of small holes in a short line in the front bottom of the drainage tray and put a bucket under it to catch the water and it works great! If you plan on using a mist king, which is awesome by the way, then you’ll need to either use a shower curtain around 3 sides of your reptibreeze or use window shrink wrap around it to prevent water from getting on your walls or floor. That was the easiest way to do it for me and everyone here helped me figure this out. I have them to thank for it. Here is a picture. I have since cut off the excess plastic along the sides so it looks nice and neat And I tuck the bottom edges of the plastic into the drainage tray all the way around.
Something like that is exactly what I need! I'll have my friend check frequently, she works at Goodwill. Thank you!

I haven’t tried the plastic drawer route (asusming your dresser drawers are the plastic kind?), but I use a Diversitech condensate drainage pan from Supply House:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Diversi...UezI11sq8AFc2PdyMRJomHvSddHvSG2oaAiQXEALw_wcB

The inside dimensions are 26” x 26”, so my Reptibreeze XL fits inside of it quite nicely. I currently have it sitting on 4 plastic caps that screwed onto the bottom of planter pots I bought from Home Depot, but 2” high washing machine feet should prop your cage up above the bottom surface of the pan so it isn’t sitting in standing water. Something like this would work: https://www.amazon.com/Amytalk-Canc...eywords=Appliance+feet&qid=1627207119&sr=8-54

My Diversitech drain pan came with a PVC pipe fitting and a hole pre-drilled for it, but when I tested it out I found water sat just below the bottom lip of the pipe. My plan is to get a pvc pipe fitting the same size, cap off the one that came with the pan and drill a hole into the bottom on the front left side (that seems to be the direction water wants to go in with my set up. I have the back of the pan raised slightly forward with a couple pieces of foamboard). If you try using this same pan, I definitely recommend drilling a hole in the bottom over relying on the fitting that came with it to drain water out. The pvc pipe that came with it is 3/4’ in size, so I want to say you’d need a 1 1/8” hole to fit a same sized PVC pipe into the bottom of the pan.

@Tawannapc uses a drain pan quite similar to mine, but she lines it with pond stones and bricks to divert water toward the drain pipe: https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...orry-to-keep-asking-so-many-questions.183302/
Thanks for the refer . Yes , my pan has been leak proof so far and the pan is more dry during these summer months. Still working and I have no regrets, no smells, and lots of drainage. About 1 gallon a week . Of course I would have preferred a bottom whole vs the side - that's only to push the furniture close to the wall . Overall it just works and it looks clean.

Thanks for the refer . Yes , my pan has been leak proof so far and the pan is more dry during these summer months. Still working and I have no regrets, no smells, and lots of drainage. About 1 gallon a week . Of course I would have preferred a bottom whole vs the side - that's only to push the furniture close to the wall . Overall it just works and it looks clean.
I actually ordered one! Adding stones sounds very aesthetically pleasing. I'll probably try to create a hole in the bottom middle instead of the side. 😊

if you put it on a table remember you’ll have to drill a hole in the table as well so the water can go through. I didn’t want to do that, that’s why I drilled the small holes in the front bottom of my pan so it could drain right into a bucket. It may not be as esthetically pleasing but it was the easiest for me.

Does that 1 gallon a week drainage you mentioned run off in the water jug you have down below on the floor? Your set up drains really, really well if that’s the case! I’d like to set mine up very similar to yours.

I actually ordered one! Adding stones sounds very aesthetically pleasing. I'll probably try to create a hole in the bottom middle instead of the side. 😊
Yay! @KittyRIOT so glad you’ve decided on an idea. I know it can get really overwhelming at first trying to figure out how to come up with ideas for drainage!

Back
Top Bottom