drainage system

Chester222

Hi all,

I have three adjacent 2.2.4 cages on top of a 6 foot long plastic table, each with one panther in them. I need a drainage system since the mistking goes off three times a day. Does anyone have any suggestions for a simple (and hopefully inexpensive) way to do this?

thanks,
Nate

You could drill some small holes in the bottom of the cages and set them on plastic bins to catch the extra water. If you wanted to get more elaborate, you could get some PVC piping and put it in from your cages through the plastic table and into containers under the table. Either way wouldn't cost much money. It just depends how you want it to look and how much time you want to spend on it. Oh, and if you want to put holes in your table!

Post some pictures of your set-up. You mentioned a plastic table. I used to have mine set up on a plastic table. I got some of this plastic sheeting for $11 for a 4'x8' piece. Split it down the center, bent it, and placed a 5 gallon bucket under the end. No multiple containers to empty- it all drains into 1 recepticle. You just need to somhow raise your cages. You wouldn't need to build the entire PVC rack like I have-just a lower portion. PVC is really cheap. You could probably do the whole thing for $25-30.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkPR_FCLwAM

thanks all for the ideas..jdog--for some reason my photos won't attach properly (!!??)...but my table is the exact same as the one in your video, and my 3 adjacent cages look identical to yours minus the extensive (and impressive) PVC work. i like the idea of the plastic sheet that diverts all water into one container. where did you get that sheet?

I got it from a plastic supply warehouse, but you can get it at signs stores as well. It is the same material that they use to make the signs for elections that you see on the roadsides. It's called corrugated plastic.

I current use the trays from LLLReptile. Here's a picture of my setup. These are for 16x16 trays but I also have a similar setup using 24x24 trays.

It's 1/2 inch PVC. I drilled a hole in the tray attached the fittings using PVC glue.

5091153172_6b5f989729_d.jpg

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/reptile-cages-and-vivariums/screen-reptile-cages/-/24-x-24-x-48-screen-cage-water-tray/

thanks. this looks like a simple and effective system..my concern here is cost..looks like it will cost about 100 dollars..

Yup. A big advantage of these are that they are modular. That means if you get a fourth tank down the road, you can switch to a large table and add another one by just changing the PVC connections.

I think it's worth the cost.

I've been making my own drain tables for really cheap with scraps of plywood, some pvc liner, and pvc pipe across the top to hold the weight of the plants and the cages. The video shows my drain tables near the end. You can build these in a couple of hours and custom fit any area you have. Simple, effective and cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5nrtOXB9c0

I current use the trays from LLLReptile. Here's a picture of my setup. These are for 16x16 trays but I also have a similar setup using 24x24 trays.

It's 1/2 inch PVC. I drilled a hole in the tray attached the fittings using PVC glue.

5091153172_6b5f989729_d.jpg

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/reptile-cages-and-vivariums/screen-reptile-cages/-/24-x-24-x-48-screen-cage-water-tray/
pretty much exactly what i did :) i used gorilla glue to attach the pvc and my god is that glue strong!!

ohhh i see what you mean. didnt realize they made different types of gorilla glue. nah its not the wood or pvc glue, i think it's just the original. bottle still claims 100% waterproof and can be used on everything. stone, metal, plastic etc

I am in the midst of painting my stand that I made to house two 2x2x4 cages. It functions as both storage (and my own approach to a "furniture" piece that cost me in total around 30 dollars) as well as solves all drainage issues. I based it off reptoman's approach. I'm trying to finish it this weekend so Ill update with a thread link once I've completed

Back
Top Bottom