Drainage system...

Tkkaplan

so I just got a dripper for my veiled chameleon in attempt to keep humidity up and to ensure that he is drinking when I'm not around. I came home and the bottom of the cage had a ton of standing water, it also started dripping out of the enclosure. So, now I need to make a drainage system so this does not happen again. Any ideas on how I should do this? My enclosure is on top of a homemade stand. I will attach a picture of my setup. Sorry, the picture quality is bad.

Attachments

• IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 150
so I just got a dripped for my veiled chameleon in attempt to keep humidity up and to ensure that he is drinking when I'm not around. I came home and the bottom of the cage had a ton of standing water in the bottom of the cage, it also started dripping out of the enclosure. So, now I need to make a drainage system so this does not happen again. Any ideas on how I should do this? My enclosure is on top of a homemade stand. I will attach a picture of my setup. Sorry, the picture quality is bad.
Dripper not dripped

Dripper not dripped
I drilled a few(10 or so) small holes directly in the center on my cage and put a small bucket underneath to catch it as it falls through. I keep my plants towards the center to ensure the water runs to the holes as well. It's also convienent because you don't have to go in to clean up. I'll post a pic of my setup when lights go on tomorrow.

I drilled a few(10 or so) small holes directly in the center on my cage and put a small bucket underneath to catch it as it falls through. I keep my plants towards the center to ensure the water runs to the holes as well. It's also convienent because you don't have to go in to clean up. I'll post a pic of my setup when lights go on tomorrow.
Here is my setup, and my cham lol.

Attachments

• 1493512306714673193392.jpg
    1493512306714673193392.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 20170422_132039.jpg
    20170422_132039.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 155
so I just got a dripper for my veiled chameleon in attempt to keep humidity up and to ensure that he is drinking when I'm not around. I came home and the bottom of the cage had a ton of standing water, it also started dripping out of the enclosure. So, now I need to make a drainage system so this does not happen again. Any ideas on how I should do this? My enclosure is on top of a homemade stand. I will attach a picture of my setup. Sorry, the picture quality is bad.
I drilled some holes in the bottom of my enclosure and put a rabbit dropping pan under it. I haven't had any problems because it also helps to increase humidity, but if it fills up I will use a shop vac to empty it.

Hope this helps.

Here is my setup, and my cham lol.
Looks nice, today I drilled holes in the bottom of the enclosure and put the enclosure on two pieces of wood that were drilled into a bin that catches the water, it's just temporary because the way I currently have it looks so bad, but it works. I will post a picture of it tomorrow when lights are on.

I know you already made your own drainage system, but I know that Dragon Strand makes great drainage trays in many sizes to fit any enclosure. They are just set at the bottom of the cage and collect any water. Mrs. Hanlon says hi

He seemed content with what he had but I did get another plant for his enclosure.
your set up is very nice. I have the same issue with the dripper but it helps to only put it on when your cham is drinking and turn it off after bc otherwise you will get a mildew smell and if you want it to be humid try misting more often because the misting doesn't seem to create so much standing water. hope this helps:)

A proper enclosure should look like a jungle and you should have difficulty finding your cham inside of it.

A proper enclosure should look like a jungle and you should have difficulty finding your cham inside of it.
#1 that's the reason I have live plants, so they can grow out and eventually it will "look like a jungle"
#2 that's not even the reason I started this thread.
I'm pretty sure that this is a proper enclosure. I apologize that my plants can't double in size over night.

your set up is very nice. I have the same issue with the dripper but it helps to only put it on when your cham is drinking and turn it off after bc otherwise you will get a mildew smell and if you want it to be humid try misting more often because the misting doesn't seem to create so much standing water. hope this helps:)
What about when I'm not home to mist it? When I'm at school the cage gets too dry. Would it hurt to leave the dripper on at a low setting while I'm not home? Sorry lol I just can't stand to have a dry cage, didn't mean to overwhelm you with questions.

What about when I'm not home to mist it? When I'm at school the cage gets too dry. Would it hurt to leave the dripper on at a low setting while I'm not home? Sorry lol I just can't stand to have a dry cage, didn't mean to overwhelm you with questions.
yes you can also leave it on low or put a small bowl or something under it to catch the excess water so you don't have to drill the cage

#1 that's the reason I have live plants, so they can grow out and eventually it will "look like a jungle"
#2 that's not even the reason I started this thread.
I'm pretty sure that this is a proper enclosure. I apologize that my plants can't double in size over night.
It can take a while for plants to grow. You're on a forum where people offer advice and constructive criticism. Chams tend to get stressed out and feel exposed when they don't have enough coverage. I was only offering my opinion. No need to take offense. People come here to learn and grow.

As for drainage, set you enclosure in a washing machine pan and then drain the pan into a bucket.

It can take a while for plants to grow. You're on a forum where people offer advice and constructive criticism. Chams tend to get stressed out and feel exposed when they don't have enough coverage. I was only offering my opinion. No need to take offense. People come here to learn and grow.

As for drainage, set you enclosure in a washing machine pan and then drain the pan into a bucket.
I understand you were trying to help but it seemed like you were just calling me out and saying my care was completely incorrect, I'm all for constructive critisicm, but that didn't seem constructive to me.

I appreciate that you were trying to help but it seemed like you were just here to say that my enclosure was completely wrong, I'm all for constructive criticism but what you said didn't seem very constructive.

I appreciate that you were trying to help but it seemed like you were just here to say that my enclosure was completely wrong, I'm all for constructive criticism but what you said didn't seem very constructive.
you have a lovely enclosure, but you could never have too many plants. it sounds like you may be having trouble keeping the humidity up, but if you add live plants that should help a lot

Back
Top Bottom