Drainage question for custom cages

FalyBreeder

I've been trying to figure this out for quite a while and have looked through a ton of articles and posts but have unfortunately not found a solution for my question/issue.

Anyway, I'm toying with a custom cage idea I've had for quite a while making a 14ft total length cage system in which their will be 6 separate cages: a cage at each end that is 3ft long 2ft deep and 6ft tall. The other 4 cages being 2'x2'x6' tall. The cages will be separated by a piece of melamine on each side to prevent undo stress to each chameleon.

Anyway, my question is in building this I have absolutely no idea as to how to deal with excess water runoff from the cages because with custom building and wanting the height I'm wanting, I'm not exactly going to have room underneath to place buckets or anything as we only have 8ft tall ceilings and I'm not really wanting to go anymore than 7ft tall total because of cage lighting and all. I'd love to figure out how to possibly recycle the water via pump or otherwise into our custom mister or dripper systems. Need help figuring out what material to use for the flooring to possibly funnel or curve the water into some type of drainage system to catch the water to ensure the water doesn't puddle or drain into our flooring. Not really wanting containers under each cage that can possibly overflow or be spilled when being removed so obviously a screen or grate type flooring is out of the question.

Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated as I'm currently stumped!

I just recently asked a very similar question about recycling runoff with a dripper attached to an aqualifter pump. Gimme a sec, I'll go find a thread and link you to it. It has to do with bacterial issues.

Since you are designing the cages, you really should take into account the drainage thing and tweak your design to allow for one. Sorry that's the only advice I can give! =(

Edit!: Here was my thread asking a similar question.

That's actually very interesting. I'm trying to figure out a way to possibly tube drain each cage into a bucket or some type of container then pump the water through a water purification system (somewhat like a fish tank filter with charcoal or something to purify and rid the water of bacteria) the waste should settle at the bitten and not be recirculated. That way I don't contaminate the drinking water and the water should be purified and just like new. My biggest issue is a solid material to use for the bottom of the cage to funnel the water into the tubing

Back
Top Bottom