Dragonstrand drainage tray

Kamikaze Chameleon

Avid Member
Hey all! So im in the process of switchin his cage over and i cant quite figure out how to setup his drainage system....Currently i have the large reptibreeze with a dragon strand drainage tray. Its hard to get a good picture, but I've adhered a bardrain to the drainage plate and drilled holes so it all empties into a bin and i just empty the bin every few days. I have the base weighted by rocks which draws the water in and it is pitched slightly forward. The last picture is his new dragon strand drain plate that came with the large hybrid. I'm not exactly sure where i should drill the holes and am concerned about stagnant water getting stuck in those lil pockets. I appreciate any input or ideas!?

Attachments

• 20200831_140217.jpg
    20200831_140217.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 20200831_134854.jpg
    20200831_134854.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 204
  • 20200831_134936.jpg
    20200831_134936.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 182
Hey all! So im in the process of switchin his cage over and i cant quite figure out how to setup his drainage system....Currently i have the large reptibreeze with a dragon strand drainage tray. Its hard to get a good picture, but I've adhered a bardrain to the drainage plate and drilled holes so it all empties into a bin and i just empty the bin every few days. I have the base weighted by rocks which draws the water in and it is pitched slightly forward. The last picture is his new dragon strand drain plate that came with the large hybrid. I'm not exactly sure where i should drill the holes and am concerned about stagnant water getting stuck in those lil pockets. I appreciate any input or ideas!?
I put a 3/4” bulkhead in the bottom of mine. If it’s level, it’ll drain easily no matter where you put the hole

The bulkhead @DocZ linked to works great. The water from all the pockets will drain together so they won't hold water in. If you want to direct water to a certain area just stuff a 1/8" piece of plastic or wood under the opposite side to give a slight slope to the tray.

I know this post is a bit old, but hoping some of the original posters can still help. I purchased this bulkhead, but even after my research on the measurements, I discovered that while it's a nice solution for the DS drainage tray itself, my tray sits on a wire shelf with just barely 3/4" spacing between bars and this bulkhead simply won't fit. Before I start cutting a wire out of the shelf, wondering if anyone has ever found a smaller bulkhead. I can't seem to find anything online.

I know this post is a bit old, but hoping some of the original posters can still help. I purchased this bulkhead, but even after my research on the measurements, I discovered that while it's a nice solution for the DS drainage tray itself, my tray sits on a wire shelf with just barely 3/4" spacing between bars and this bulkhead simply won't fit. Before I start cutting a wire out of the shelf, wondering if anyone has ever found a smaller bulkhead. I can't seem to find anything online.
It will take some digging, but I’m sure you find something. The issue I had with smaller bulkheads I found was the part inside the tray was “taller” so the water pooled deeper In the tray. The solution on the dragon strand website is to go through the side instead of the bottom with your drainage device

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/bulkhead.html

Depending on where the the bulkhead will sit on the shelf, you may be able to just get away with bending the wires apart. If not, I would probably just cut the wire that's in the way.
Another option would be to go with a 3/8" or 1/2" quick connect fitting and use flex tube. However, if you do, the bulkheads sit higher than the typical fishtank bulkhead. You would probably want to sand down the side that will be in the tray. (The side with the nut fitting)
One thing I learned as a kid, your concrete sidewalk or drive is a great option to sand away a bunch of plastic quick. :)

https://www.uswatersystems.com/john...ph_cxYq4PVWkvVDVuBiUbqe0tLBkHk3BoCpGIQAvD_BwE

https://www.uswatersystems.com/john...rk3-jbamFpHksTN3gcsG_x0RK13fDCoxoCWFoQAvD_BwE
(Shop around if you go this route, the prices listed for those seem a little high.)

Back
Top Bottom