Dragon strand

They will totally fit between the dragon ledges...there is over an inch of space!
Do you know what the length between the outside screws and the middle one on the ledges is? I got these and the hanger is 3 and half inches long.
F905C441-0D3B-4975-8701-EDDA86874FDB.jpeg

I don't know the exact measurement & the chams are asleep so I can't get pics but they will fit. The ledges are quite long. A better use is to anchor branches & hang the pots from the branches, using other branches to anchor. I will take pics tomorrow

Awesome thank you! I am working on a few different ideas to anchor plants. Pics are always such a help

Thanks - that's very sweet of you to say! I'm going to try my hand with the black pond foam, only to hide zip ties. I have some updated lighting & have amassed quite a few nice plants between the 2 temp cages that will be transferred to the permanent ones. Lots of bromeliads, prayer plants, pothos, goldfish plants, etc. I've also learned more about where the best placement for misting heads are too!
So on that note of the misting heads. Where is the best placement then? I am going to be setting mine up next week. Also, Matt told me to discuss the dragon ledges with you because you had the most experience with them. Wanted to get some input from you. I did post another thread today just on that hoping to get some feedback from others and their experiences with how they mounted potted plants, branches, etc. dos and donts if you willl.

I have the clearside large atrium. It wonderful. I cant say enough good things about Bill either. He is super helpful and even replaced pieces of my atrium for free bc the pegs were breaking(company switched plastics and didnt tell Bill. He has since switched suppliers)
That is my future dream cage! Do you have some pics online of this one? Would love to see some.

The best method I've found for attaching small pots to the ledges is by using Ikea Bygel containers. The Bygel has a lip that allows it to hang from the ledge. I have the back of the Bygel resting against a small bamboo branch mounted a few inches below and parallel to the ledge. The bamboo keeps the container level and allows for easily drop-in and removal of potted plants, and they can easily be re-situated on the ledge if needed.

The Bygel containers are discontinued but show up on Ebay at times. I always keep an eye out for them.

Attachments

• IMG_5911.jpeg
    IMG_5911.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_5912.jpeg
    IMG_5912.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 210
The best method I've found for attaching small pots to the ledges is by using Ikea Bygel containers. The Bygel has a lip that allows it to hang from the ledge. I have the back of the Bygel resting against a small bamboo branch mounted a few inches below and parallel to the ledge. The bamboo keeps the container level and allows for easily drop-in and removal of potted plants, and they can easily be re-situated on the ledge if needed.

The Bygel containers are discontinued but show up on Ebay at times. I always keep an eye out for them.
Wow those are awesome! and so very handy and easy easy easy. I like that! I will have to look for some.

Awesome thank you! I am working on a few different ideas to anchor plants. Pics are always such a help
Sorry it's taken me so long! My doctoral program started back & I've been a little overwhelmed with reading. Here are some pics for you. I'm not an expert in cage setup, but this has been working for me, especially the double pot using the ikea containers that are currently available.

Attachments

• 20190108_155604.jpg
    20190108_155604.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 219
  • 20190108_155543.jpg
    20190108_155543.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 239
  • 20190108_155524.jpg
    20190108_155524.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 20190108_155513.jpg
    20190108_155513.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 20190108_155509.jpg
    20190108_155509.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 241
  • 20190108_155454.jpg
    20190108_155454.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 20190108_155500.jpg
    20190108_155500.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG-20190108-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20190108-WA0003.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG-20190108-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20190108-WA0001.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 258
So on that note of the misting heads. Where is the best placement then? I am going to be setting mine up next week. Also, Matt told me to discuss the dragon ledges with you because you had the most experience with them. Wanted to get some input from you. I did post another thread today just on that hoping to get some feedback from others and their experiences with how they mounted potted plants, branches, etc. dos and donts if you willl.
The location of the misters depends on what plants you have to some degree. On 1 cage I have a double mister head in the front right corner & that's it. My plants do not get enough water. I need either another head in the front left or the back to get the back corner plants.

On my other cage I have 2 single heads: front right & back right. I planned my plants a little better & my moisture loving plants are in the middle or directly under the spray, so they get the most water. My most water temperamental plants are on the outside nearest the door so I can handwater/spray easiest as needed.

Also think about light too...plants that need a lot of light up night, lower light lower. Vining plants higher and if they are lower light (like pothos), keep them out of the main light stream.

Hope this helps!

Sorry it's taken me so long! My doctoral program started back & I've been a little overwhelmed with reading. Here are some pics for you. I'm not an expert in cage setup, but this has been working for me, especially the double pot using the ikea containers that are currently available.
That looks great -- I need to find those ikea containers and repot my things, so those white ones have a lip that hangs over which seems ideal. you did great. I love all the plants, you have such a variety and your little guy looks so happy in there! I am so happy I went to Hobby Lobby tonight and caught the 50% off part on their branches and they are so great.

The location of the misters depends on what plants you have to some degree. On 1 cage I have a double mister head in the front right corner & that's it. My plants do not get enough water. I need either another head in the front left or the back to get the back corner plants.

On my other cage I have 2 single heads: front right & back right. I planned my plants a little better & my moisture loving plants are in the middle or directly under the spray, so they get the most water. My most water temperamental plants are on the outside nearest the door so I can handwater/spray easiest as needed.

Also think about light too...plants that need a lot of light up night, lower light lower. Vining plants higher and if they are lower light (like pothos), keep them out of the main light stream.

Hope this helps!
Super. So I bought a 24" tall Scheffera today which I was going to put in the center. I also have a smaller 6" totem pole pothos, and I have 3 other pothos ivy's in small 4" containers that are already vining so that is really all I wanted to start with are those 2 for now as those are easier to find here in Texas. So I will have to aim my 2 nozzles appropriately for those then. Need to study up more again on how much water the sheffalera needs, its been while since I had one of those. But, I can add up to 6 nozzles supposedly on that monsoon but it does say the more nozzles, the less spray force out of each so not sure I am gaining much there. I was going to mount the 4" vining ivy (after repotting them into hopefully those containers you suggested) and mount them around 3 sides of the dragon ledges. with the totem pole and other being on the floor growing up into center. Hopefully that works well, I guess its just trial and error of placement till I get it right. But I got a tonnage of vines today that I ordered, different widths and kinds of climbing vines and branches that I hope to get interwined throughout. It is fun decorating them! I am excited about how it will look. I will post pics once I get them done. I should start getting shipments of things starting this week but I am not even sure my dragon ledges have shipped yet, so I cannot do anything until I get them. Thanks for uploading all of your images. That was very kind and very very very helpful. So grateful to all of you on this forum for your wealth of experience and knowledge for a newbee such as myself.

I searched everywhere for these ones. I finally gave up and found the white ones with a lip. They are larger so I think they will need additional support though.

Here’s a listing currently on the bay https://www.ebay.com/itm/IKEA-BYGEL...494270?hash=item3d6c8275fe:g:NY0AAOSw7mpbSOe8

Don’t like the price but they work so well it might still be worth it.

Oh wow ok so cool to see them posted somewhere though. I searched everywhere until I was over it lol. If I had not just replanted all 5 of my plants in the white ones with the ledge I got I would jump on these. I am sure someone could use these though. Maybe @CC's Baby :)

Oh wow ok so cool to see them posted somewhere though. I searched everywhere until I was over it lol. If I had not just replanted all 5 of my plants in the white ones with the ledge I got I would jump on these. I am sure someone could use these though. Maybe @CC's Baby :)
Here’s a listing currently on the bay https://www.ebay.com/itm/IKEA-BYGEL...494270?hash=item3d6c8275fe:g:NY0AAOSw7mpbSOe8

omg!!!! BLESS YOU BLESS YOU!!! I just bought 4 of them. Didn't care about the price at this point. I had nothing else I could find that I liked. So glad you found these and posted this for me to see! YOU SAVED THE DAY!!!! Thank you so much Beman!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU BEEMAN!!!! There is 1 left!

@CC's Baby I thought when James777 posted those they would be great for you! Awesome that he found them. I searched for about 3 weeks trying to find them on ebay, amazon, and every other website possible lol.

@CC's Baby I thought when James777 posted those they would be great for you! Awesome that he found them. I searched for about 3 weeks trying to find them on ebay, amazon, and every other website possible lol.
Yeah its crazy -- I spent hours yesterday and never found them. He must have typed just the right seach string to get them to come up for him. I am soooooooo very grateful that you posted this for me to see. I love those. I wonder why they discontinued them, seems like such a great seller.??

Thank you for finding these! I read your post yesterday on these as well and spent hours looking and never ran across them and gave up. BLESS YOU FOR FINDING AND POSTING this link ! I ordered them today! At this point, I just conceded to spending more on them since they DO SEEM to be the perfect option for these dragon ledges. So excited. THANKS AGAIN. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this post!

Back
Top Bottom