Dragon Strand Tall Hybrid Question...

Arpretty

Avid Member
Hi all,

I tried to post this directly on the dragon strand website, but it says my IP address is blocked...

I will be ordering the Tall Hybrid cage system in the near future. My question is regarding the drainage tray. Is this tray easily removable...does it slide out from under the cage for easy-access cleaning?

I'm trying to decide what type of new stand I will need...I currently have the Zoo Med Reptibreeze screen enclosure and I'd like to replace the stand. We have holes drilled into the bottom panel of the cage and it sits over a metal open-grate stand; the water collects in a tub underneath. I'm wondering if the drainage tray with the Tall Hybrid would eliminate our need for the open stand/tub system, such that it could sit on a flat stand with no other retrofitting.

Any thoughts are appreciated :)

Hi all,

I tried to post this directly on the dragon strand website, but it says my IP address is blocked...

I will be ordering the Tall Hybrid cage system in the near future. My question is regarding the drainage tray. Is this tray easily removable...does it slide out from under the cage for easy-access cleaning?
No, the enclosure sits directly on top of the tray, and they do not provide any drainage holes or fixtures.

This one is preemo

https://chameleonworldmuji.co.uk/product/large-hydro-flo-base/

Or

https://www.reptisolutions.com/

I just put the bulkhead in my drainage tray last night and its actually draining LESS now.... it doesnt sit flush with the tray 😒 so im frustrated.

YES! Thank you! Love the first link with stand included! Second link has great add-ons. Jeez, I wonder when someone will sell a complete set of everything you need.

Sorry to hear about your frustration - I get it, nothing ever seems to work perfectly in the world of chameleon keeping.

Do you happen to know if the company in the first link ships to US?

That one doesn't seem to be available this side (North America) of the pond, and shipping could run as much as the pan—IDK.

I get the attraction of a center drain, but I couldn't bring myself to drill through the folding table I bought for a stand, so I went out the side (front) of the drain pan—mostly for my own convenience.

1609971875808.jpeg

As can be seen, a couple of 1/4" pads under the back feet provide 1/8" per foot pitch, which is working just fine. I also had to do some surgery on the fins in the drain pan, but we won't go into that... :mad:

That one doesn't seem to be available this side (North America) of the pond, and shipping could run as much as the pan—IDK.

I get the attraction of a center drain, but I couldn't bring myself to drill through the folding table I bought for a stand, so I went out the side (front) of the drain pan—mostly for my own convenience.

Interesting - such great ideas out there! Thanks for sharing.
I thought about that, even if it did ship to the US, the price would likely be outrageous..

I wet vac mine because my gravity drain was not so bueno... LOL So 3 days a week I wet vac them all out. Granted I have no plants on the bottom screen. So I just open the service door and lift the screen and wet vac.
It is annoying though.

I wet vac mine because my gravity drain was not so bueno... LOL So 3 days a week I wet vac them all out. Granted I have no plants on the bottom screen. So I just open the service door and lift the screen and wet vac.
It is annoying though.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm actually now leaning towards a DIYcage or Zen habitat. I've been perusing the forums and researching most of the day...during work, lol o_O

Ahh, I see. Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm actually now leaning towards a DIYcage or Zen habitat. I've been perusing the forums and researching most of the day...during work, lol o_O
IMO Dragon strands are far superior to what is on the market... I do not know anything about the zen habitat or what they use to make it. but the DIY is a better made reptibreeze... Nothing else superior about it though.

Anything you get will require customization of one thing or another. .

Good to know. Didn't see anything on their site about it. Got a link or something?
My mistake...the company is called Tamura designs I see them building it on IG all the time. They also have a nice lil vinyl forest backing on the pvc sides.
No website just a FB and IG.

Looks SICK and SOLID!...i have not looked or asked about price... I'm pretty content being broke enough right now 😵

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210107-131737_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210107-131737_Instagram.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 148
My mistake...the company is called Tamura designs I see them building it on IG all the time. They also have a nice lil vinyl forest backing on the pvc sides.
No website just a FB and IG.

Looks SICK and SOLID!...i have not looked or asked about price... I'm pretty content being broke enough right now 😵
I have seen this one... But I do not understand their airflow set up on it. There is no chimney effect that I have seen. They have screen on the sides that you can use or put in solid. But then that only would leave the top screen panel.

I have seen this one... But I do not understand their airflow set up on it. There is no chimney effect that I have seen. They have screen on the sides that you can use or put in solid. But then that only would leave the top screen panel.
Yeah Idk how they have it, tbh I haven't really looked into that too much myself either but i figured I should at least share 🤗

Ok, sorry for keeping this going and please forgive me if I am completely missing something here but back to the Dragon Strand tall hybrid...I need some more clarification on the drainage tray if possible.

So the cage sits on top of the tray, separated by a screen bottom; the bottom is not suitable to support potted plants, and the purpose is to keep all the standing water and waste water from building up on the bottom of the cage...?

But...how do you access the drainage tray to clean it? Doesn't it hold bacteria as well, if all poop/dirt/grime whatever is being filtered through the screen and sitting on the drainage tray?? I'm envisioning mold or other unsanitary conditions, even when an actual drainage system is retrofitted to help actively drain the water. There will always be grime left behind, that at least needs to be wiped out right?

BTW my job is literally an "analyst" and "assessor" so if not already obvious....I tend to heavily analyze things! 🙄

Ok, sorry for keeping this going and please forgive me if I am completely missing something here but back to the Dragon Strand tall hybrid...I need some more clarification on the drainage tray if possible.

So the cage sits on top of the tray, separated by a screen bottom; the bottom is not suitable to support potted plants, and the purpose is to keep all the standing water and waste water from building up on the bottom of the cage...?

But...how do you access the drainage tray to clean it? Doesn't it hold bacteria as well, if all poop/dirt/grime whatever is being filtered through the screen and sitting on the drainage tray?? I'm envisioning mold or other unsanitary conditions, even when an actual drainage system is retrofitted to help actively drain the water. There will always be grime left behind, that at least needs to be wiped out right?

BTW my job is literally an "analyst" and "assessor" so if not already obvious....I tend to heavily analyze things! 🙄
Ok cage sits on edges of tray... the screen bottom sits in on the cage frame so it can be easily moved in and out if needed. The 2x2x4 tray does have a raised area in the center of the tray that you can set a pot on the screen then sitting on the raised area... BUT you have to have a drainage plan other then wet vac because the screen bottom can not be lifted with the plant on it. If you have a good drain in the bottom of the pan then it should not hold water. No yuck...

If you can lift the screen bottom you can access the pan to wipe it out if needed.

Ok cage sits on edges of tray... the screen bottom sits in on the cage frame so it can be easily moved in and out if needed. The 2x2x4 tray does have a raised area in the center of the tray that you can set a pot on the screen then sitting on the raised area... BUT you have to have a drainage plan other then wet vac because the screen bottom can not be lifted with the plant on it. If you have a good drain in the bottom of the pan then it should not hold water. No yuck...

If you can lift the screen bottom you can access the pan to wipe it out if needed.

👏👏 I totally got it now. Many, many thanks for your patience & responses.

Back
Top Bottom