Dragon strand and bioactive

If you are somewhat handy, just build yourself a box for the cage to sit on. I use 23/32 sanded plywood and 1x 12 for mine. I put in my bulk head then two coats of flex seal brush in to seal everything at the same time. Flat black (personal preference) for the outside then set the cage up. Though not as pretty @jamest0o0 or yours @KobaOregonherper in the pic or dragonstrand, this gives you an idea of what I mean. I've done this with the zoomed, zilla, diycages I have, all the same process. Last pic is one of the zoomed boxes before being setup.

20180819_201946_HDR-2.jpg
20180812_154017-1.jpg 20180625_201636.jpg

I was thinking about adding pitcher plants to the cages to control my gnats problem! Go to know they are safe. Nice set up, makes mine look weak

I was recommended using sundews next to the lights on the enclosure. It has been an absolute savior for the stupid gnats. 4 days after having the sundew and most of the gnats were gone and the sundew was covered in little black gnats.

I made the natural background myself and planted air plants. It's a lot of work.
I think one of the number one things I want to do for my large atrium is do the natural wall with the Great Stuff so I can mount pots and stuff up there. it always looks so good! Still trying to figure out the best way to go about it

I think one of the number one things I want to do for my large atrium is do the natural wall with the Great Stuff so I can mount pots and stuff up there. it always looks so good! Still trying to figure out the best way to go about it

Me too! And I’ve had the spray foam for 2 months! Lol. It’s a lot of work and I am still going back and forth about it. For a 24” cage I think it adds an interesting dynamic, but now Im leaning in a different direction

Ya a natural wall definitely improves the aesthetics by a lot. But it's a lot of work for me because I'm using the spray foam and silicone glue on a 4x2feet area. It took me 2 weeks to finish, waiting for the foam to cure, cut it to desired texture, silicone glue peat moss, wait for the silicone to cure, then glue again for the spots I missed. And then not satisfied with a few areas of texture so I cut again. And repeat.

Ya a natural wall definitely improves the aesthetics by a lot. But it's a lot of work for me because I'm using the spray foam and silicone glue on a 4x2feet area. It took me 2 weeks to finish, waiting for the foam to cure, cut it to desired texture, silicone glue peat moss, wait for the silicone to cure, then glue again for the spots I missed. And then not satisfied with a few areas of texture so I cut again. And repeat.
Yeah, that sounds super tedious. But look at it! Well worth it. When I decide to start I might hit you up for some mentorship ;)

Walls are nice and fun projects, but not very natural for Panthers and veileds. Not that they would care with or without, just nitpicking the wording :p. I personally love the walls either way.

Walls are nice and fun projects, but not very natural for Panthers and veileds. Not that they would care with or without, just nitpicking the wording :p. I personally love the walls either way.
We shall rename it to a "natural side of a really big tree trunk" :LOL:

Unfortunately my pitcher died off. Some people told me it's because it can't adapt to my nutrient rich substrate. Pitchers are supposed to be planted in moist sphagnum moss it seems.

They like an acidic soil, the sphagnum works great. They also like constant water, but with draining(unlike fly traps, sundews, sarracenia, etc that like to sit in water).

I'm just messing around. I think if we tried to replicate where Panthers tend to be found a lot, it'd be a pretty boring looking enclosure.
And surely they prefer the enclosures we give them?? My boy uses every inch of his, and he is just a tiny little thing

And surely they prefer the enclosures we give them?? My boy uses every inch of his, and he is just a tiny little thing

Absolutely, and I'm sure they appreciate the lack of droughts in our set ups as well lol. I just mean, with Panthers at least, everything seems to indicate they like to show off to the world as adults. Apparently they're found in open areas. I don't know if I agree with the "if it's easy to see your chameleon you need more plants". It's good to have some hiding retreats, but once settled in, my Panthers spent all of their time in the most open spaces, moving around a lot. So I think it's important to give them a good bit of open room to travel and flaunt. It makes sense, they wouldn't have those flashy colors to try and blend in. The montanes seem to appreciate the jungle layouts very much though.

Last edited:
Absolutely, and I'm sure they appreciate the lack of droughts in our set ups as well lol. I just mean, with Panthers at least, everything seems to indicate they like to show off to the world as adults. Apparently they're found in open areas. I don't know if I agree with the "if it's easy to see your chameleon you need more plants". It's good to have some hiding retreats, but once settled in, my Panthers spent all of there time in the most open spaces, moving around a lot. So I think it's important to give them a good bit of open room to travel and flaunt. It makes sense, they wouldn't have those flashy colors to try and blend in. The montanes seem to appreciate the jungle layouts very much though.
Yeah, the only time I find my boy hiding is when he is getting ready for bed. Otherwise he is right at the top of the enclosure hanging out in the open. He likes to think he is a big flashy boy already, even though he is just little and brown still :LOL:

Yeah, the only time I find my boy hiding is when he is getting ready for bed. Otherwise he is right at the top of the enclosure hanging out in the open. He likes to think he is a big flashy boy already, even though he is just little and brown still :LOL:

Yup that's what I'm talking about. Panthers really love the space, they'd use a whole room if you let them.

Sorry OP going off topic, I just enjoy talking enclosure layout. It's one of my favorite parts of the hobby

They like an acidic soil, the sphagnum works great. They also like constant water, but with draining(unlike fly traps, sundews, sarracenia, etc that like to sit in water).

I don't know if the rest of my plants appreciate acidic soil though. Your setup seems perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

I don't know if the rest of my plants appreciate acidic soil though. Your setup seems perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

I love your plants, is that a LED you have shining down on them? They look great. Most plants do not like the soil carnivorous plants live in. What I did was mount the nepenthes on some branches with sphagnum around a little flower pot and tied it in. That way they don't need planted with the rest of the plants. At the bottom I have jeweled orchids which like similar substrate, but less light. So I dug out a spot for them and filled it with sphagnum.

I love your plants, is that a LED you have shining down on them? They look great. Most plants do not like the soil carnivorous plants live in. What I did was mount the nepenthes on some branches with sphagnum around a little flower pot and tied it in. That way they don't need planted with the rest of the plants. At the bottom I have jeweled orchids which like similar substrate, but less light. So I dug out a spot for them and filled it with sphagnum.

It's the jungle dawn megaspot 40W. May I see a picture of how you incorporate the pitcher into the vivarium?

Back
Top Bottom