Avid Member
Male Veiled Cham- approx. 5-5 1/2 years old
Reptibreeze screened cage the XL one. 4x4x2
Lighting T5 HO 22'' Reptisun 10.0- only 2-3 months old
Basking bulb 100w
Average basking temp 80-85
Low shaded temps 60-65
No light at night
Diet: mainly crickets/hornworms Dust w/calcium every feed, D3 calcium and vitamins (exotera multi) twice a month- biweekly
Mist: at least 3 times a day-water dripper for drinking
Live plant- dunno what kind but safe for chams.
Humidity ranges 70-80% of course at times drops

Problem: Clumsy/not using his tail.... He is shedding which might explain a little bit. But I noticed a few days ago, when I was misting the cage (and him) he kind of wagged his tail when it got wet. It was weird. He is still doing it, it wags but doesn't lift up. He seems to not be using his tail to grip anything just kind of drags it around... I noticed this morning that he got stuck and could not get himself out of the situation.... I have a ton of branches but he was stuck in a spot hanging by his back leg and had a front leg extending to another branch. the other two legs were looking for something to grab but he just couldn't figure it out. He would not us his tail it was just kind of there not doing anything. It went on for about a minute or two and I decided I need to glove up and help him. He then got startled (used to handle him more but the last year not so much). Anyhow I used my hand to boost him up he was able to get footing and get moving... dragging his tail. It dragged over my hand and it did not curl around my finger as it used to before... seems to just kind of be there but not doing much. It does not look broken, or crooked, if anything it looks almost too straight for a cham. Anyhow I ordered a twine type net (being delivered tomorrow) that I am going to attach to the middle of his cage around the plant to prevent him from falling, if it gets worse. I did call his vet but had to leave a message.... They are open weekends so I hope they will call me back asap... cOVID19 and all their operations have been downsized.... Anyhow I am just curious about thoughts.... He has not fallen, if he did I think I would have had to help him back up for sure... tail did not get squeezed in anything... Old age? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
These pics are kind of terrible, he is a tad darker right now than normal but the picture and lighting in his cage definitely make his colors look uglier than they are. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5109.JPG
    IMG_5109.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 215
  • Rico 8-21.jpg
    Rico 8-21.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 204
This is outside anything I have read about or seen... The middle of his tail looks off is that just shed on it? First thought was injury... from a fall. Possible issue with the spinal cord if he is not using the tail at all. I would say a vet visit is in order for sure.

Thank you for the input! He can move it because it wagged when I sprayed it... He definitely has not fallen. I really feel like if he did he wouldn't be able to get back up to the top and more than his tail would be affected... No marks or bumps or anything. It may have just been the way his tail was resting over the branches here is another photo. he is in his corner getting ready for bed. I am going to watch and see if he curls it. I will definitely take him to the vet. I just couldn't get them today by phone... I am pretty sure they are open tomorrow it is actually like a wildlife conservation place that has an odd pet vet in it... it is actually called "the odd pet vet" go figure! How bout this pic?

Attachments

• IMG_5111.JPG
    IMG_5111.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 165
Thank you for the input! He can move it because it wagged when I sprayed it... He definitely has not fallen. I really feel like if he did he wouldn't be able to get back up to the top and more than his tail would be affected... No marks or bumps or anything. It may have just been the way his tail was resting over the branches here is another photo. he is in his corner getting ready for bed. I am going to watch and see if he curls it. I will definitely take him to the vet. I just couldn't get them today by phone... I am pretty sure they are open tomorrow it is actually like a wildlife conservation place that has an odd pet vet in it... it is actually called "the odd pet vet" go figure! How bout this pic?
Yeah he definitely does not appear to have real movement of it though. They do not typically lay them limp like that. I would say if he does not curl it at bed time then there is some sort of real issue.

Per if he fell. Depends on how he fell if he hit the spine just right behind his back legs that could cause issues with the tail. might only be swelling in the spine there. I dunno I am tossing out best guesses right now.

old age will slow them down but not tail issues like that.

I think the "odd pet vet" is your answer.

Definitely appreciate the help! The vet is open over the weekend, I will definitely call them again tomorrow. They are familiar with him there. He has had check ups and on respiratory infection. I just hope they can get me in... the message said that the vet seeing in person patients was super limited and his typical vet is only doing Zoom visits... there is now where else around me that will see a cham, so kind of all my eggs are in that basket! I think the twine net thing will be a good idea so he doesn't fall (or fall again). Will update this thread with what comes of all this!

Definitely appreciate the help! The vet is open over the weekend, I will definitely call them again tomorrow. They are familiar with him there. He has had check ups and on respiratory infection. I just hope they can get me in... the message said that the vet seeing in person patients was super limited and his typical vet is only doing Zoom visits... there is now where else around me that will see a cham, so kind of all my eggs are in that basket! I think the twine net thing will be a good idea so he doesn't fall (or fall again). Will update this thread with what comes of all this!
Good luck hun

I was unable to get Rico in at my current vet, but did take him to another vet that specializes in reptiles in my area. The vet said that overall she was amazed to see a five year old cham in such great health! She did note some muscle weakness and possible arthritis. She did not think there was need to Xray as no indication of a break. She did suggest getting some silk worms for him and increasing his basking temps slightly. He is using his tail now more and she noted that he had a good grip with tail and his feet. I will try to get a poop sample to drop off to her, she did give him a warm bath to help remove some of the stuck shed. Maybe I overreacted.... I have noticed him using his tail more the past few days.... She did recommend putting a night bulb in at night... I thought that was crazy! I am going to keep doing what I have been but will put a new basking bulb, order a new uv light (even though mine is only 3-4 months old), and get some silk worms... I will follow up with his normal vet once things get less busy for them.

I was unable to get Rico in at my current vet, but did take him to another vet that specializes in reptiles in my area. The vet said that overall she was amazed to see a five year old cham in such great health! She did note some muscle weakness and possible arthritis. She did not think there was need to Xray as no indication of a break. She did suggest getting some silk worms for him and increasing his basking temps slightly. He is using his tail now more and she noted that he had a good grip with tail and his feet. I will try to get a poop sample to drop off to her, she did give him a warm bath to help remove some of the stuck shed. Maybe I overreacted.... I have noticed him using his tail more the past few days.... She did recommend putting a night bulb in at night... I thought that was crazy! I am going to keep doing what I have been but will put a new basking bulb, order a new uv light (even though mine is only 3-4 months old), and get some silk worms... I will follow up with his normal vet once things get less busy for them.
Glad he’s using his tail more. Arthritis? Poor guy. We have to remember that not all exotics vet are well versed in the specific husbandry of chameleons, especially if they don’t see them all that often.

Glad he’s using his tail more. Arthritis? Poor guy. We have to remember that not all exotics vet are well versed in the specific husbandry of chameleons, especially if they don’t see them all that often.
I definitely am not adding a night light... I kind of feel like the fact he ahs lived five years with how I have been doing things, I don't really want to change things up that much. A few small adjustments hopefully will do the trick. I definitely may have overreacted!

I definitely am not adding a night light... I kind of feel like the fact he ahs lived five years with how I have been doing things, I don't really want to change things up that much. A few small adjustments hopefully will do the trick. I definitely may have overreacted!
I don’t think we can overreact when it comes to the health of our cham’s. They are masters of hiding when things are wrong until it’s late in the game.
No night light. While the vet I’m sure is knowledgeable of cham anatomy/physiology, knowing the exact husbandry of so very many species I imagine is quite the challenge.

Rico is doing much better! I think it was all a combo of decreased tail use (age? arthritis), the shed stuck on his feet, and being dehydrated. I also do not typically let him hunt crickets in his cage, mainly because I can't stand finding them in my house (I know, I know kind of selfish of me). Lately I have been throwing a few in outside of the feeding cup and he is much more stimulated! I moved his basking bulb to a spot where it is a little hotter too. He has been drinking from a medicine dropper and I have been loading up with hornworms. He is doing so much better! I did have his poop tested for parasites, the vet just called and it was negative!

Soooo an update to this story! I brought Rico to his normal vet, since he was continuing to not use his tail at all. He was having increased difficulty stay in branches and would have near falls , where I would have to physically intervene... within five minutes of the exam the vet stayed that he had a mass in his stomach, for comparison sake the vet said it would be the equivalent of me having a beach ball in my stomach! He suggested surgery that could be risky... Luckily the surgery was (so far) a success. The mass was a cancerous testicle! . He is home now completely knocked out from the anesthesia.... vets says the next few days will be him living in his transport cage, syringe pain meds and baby food and water. He believes Rico should be back to normal in a few days!

Attachments

• 7BE9A657-31C1-43D8-A697-D643B6B6D809.jpeg
    7BE9A657-31C1-43D8-A697-D643B6B6D809.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 157
Soooo an update to this story! I brought Rico to his normal vet, since he was continuing to not use his tail at all. He was having increased difficulty stay in branches and would have near falls , where I would have to physically intervene... within five minutes of the exam the vet stayed that he had a mass in his stomach, for comparison sake the vet said it would be the equivalent of me having a beach ball in my stomach! He suggested surgery that could be risky... Luckily the surgery was (so far) a success. The mass was a cancerous testicle! . He is home now completely knocked out from the anesthesia.... vets says the next few days will be him living in his transport cage, syringe pain meds and baby food and water. He believes Rico should be back to normal in a few days!
It is wonderful that you have an experienced vet to do the surgery. Glad I read your full post because at first I thought something bad happened when I saw the picture. Hope he recovers and feels better soon.

Thanks! Have you ever had to feed a Cham baby food after a surgery? The vet said to mix his supplements into chicken baby food? Some one in a bother group recommend using critical care. I did find some on Amazon... thoughts?

Aww...poor little guy. ? So happy he made it thru...has a good vet and a dedicated keeper!? Whichever you go with...carnivore care or baby food, just make sure to get it in the far back of his mouth where his esophagus is.

Yeah I have no experience after surgery... @jannb does and may be able to give you some info. I know carnivore care is meant for short term use. I would be iffy on chicken baby food just because it is chicken based and the protein is going to be different then that of an insect based diet.

Back
Top Bottom