Double closet cage complete!

Monkeykungphu

Not sure if any of you saw my post on the closet cage design that I did in Google Sketch Up a few months ago?

https://www.chameleonforums.com/sketch-up-closet-cage-concept-42998/

Well, I finally got around to putting it together this weekened! :D Each side is roughly 30"X54"X24". I didn't get pics through the whole process, but here's a few. Apologies on the blurryness of my pics.

Bottom slopes to the middle, I also installed some metal flashing at the front & rear of the valley to funnel the water to the center with a bucket beneath. Of course I didn't get a picture with the flashing... lol. :p Sorry.

I had some cheap plastic sheeting (used for auto body work) that I used to line the insides of the walls & floor. I've got a ton of it so I used a few layers of it to help make the walls & floor water resistant. Not really happy with it, too "crinkly" & rips entirelly too easily. Would like to eventually replace it with a green shower curtain around the walls. Probably put some kind of heavy duty plastic on the bottom too.

Comments, questions welcome.

You should definetly take out the drywall behind the cage so that its almost like those fish tanks that are in the wall. But i guess this way gives the chams some privacy if they need it :p

You should definetly take out the drywall behind the cage so that its almost like those fish tanks that are in the wall. But i guess this way gives the chams some privacy if they need it :p

Thatd be awsome, That and stain it so it looks like it matches everything in the room. Good job on the build! :cool:

Looks good.

But yeah... I second that you should stain the wood, and seal it. Not sure what you are using to keep the wall from getting wet, though I saw some plastic... If I were you I would use a weather proof paint, paint the entire wall in the closet with it, to prevent mold. I would then hook up one of my kick butt drain systems so you don't need to transport buckets of run off water to a sink or toilet :D.

Thanks everyone.

I was considering staining/sealing/painting it. That'll have to wait till another weekend! :D I got it "livable" & water resistant at the moment. Figured the plastic ought to keep it dry at least for a little while.

The backside of the closet is my wife's office... I think I'll keep the drywall on it for my privacy rather than the chameleons! :p

Last edited:
Looks cool! You could use tarps on the wall and such. I find blue and green ones at Lowes for 6 bucks.

I would just be concerned with the airflow, stagnant air could cause problems.

Great job Ben!! I will have to stop by sometime soon for a up close and personal :D! Tell Clint and Nugget that I said "Waddup!!!"

Anytime Andrew! They are both really enjoying the extra space.

I've also got an automatic dripper set up on top of the cage, using the bubble wand, timer & pump method, that someone posted here a while back.

It's like a chameleon Disneyland in there! :D

Man i really like this desing GOOD JOB,but i agree with GLITCH you should use a wood stain and protect it with a clear coat,WHY to protect your wood and your cameleons from (molds,spores,bacterias,rotten wood etc...........) use a waterbased stain like (SAMAN WATERBASED WOOD STAIN) its none toxic to animals and finish the job with 3 coats of exterior WATERBASED clear,hey man really nice job protect it!!!!!!!

Hey Ben, I was thinking about the floor of your cage. You should try the shower pan liner from home depot. They sell it by the linear foot from a 5 ft roll. Its $5.93 a foot and works great for drainage. A single drain for $8 in the bottom would allow you to put a bucket under it for waste water. Just a thought. Great build!

Hey Ben, I was thinking about the floor of your cage. You should try the shower pan liner from home depot. They sell it by the linear foot from a 5 ft roll. Its $5.93 a foot and works great for drainage. A single drain for $8 in the bottom would allow you to put a bucket under it for waste water. Just a thought. Great build!

Thanks Brian! Great idea about the shower pan liners. I'm thinking about painting the interior of the closet & staining the wood next weekend. I'll look into installing the shower liners at the same time! :D

dang man that is cool, just dont let the cops see that they will thing your useing that for something ealse lol jk, that is a really good idea tho, out of the way and flush to the wall, yea i would deff seal that drywall, i do drywall and it will mold.

Back
Top Bottom