Don't spoil your chameleon

Link

Avid Member
Give Skittles superworms one time now that's all he wants . Won't even look at a cricket spoiled brat

Attachments

• 20160925_135013.jpg
    20160925_135013.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 181
Same issue with me ever since I gave him supers he looks at crickets like they are the plague. But he eats supers out of my hand and basically begs for them if he hasnt eaten in a day.

EXACTLY what happened to my boy Orion! does anyone know a good way to get them back to hunting down crickets? I tried not giving him an option but he just wont eat and let them die.

I try just 2 not feed them for a day or two and then hopefully he'll eat . that's what I do 2 mine. Sometimes they are worse than children. I never feed them superworms. I did it one time and I'm regretting it:ROFLMAO:

My male panther is similair to that XD, he seems to be on the lower scale of intelligence. Though he does still have some, my female Jackson is much higher

Haha. Link, I thought my old post would be a warning. YOU were the one who reminded me they get addicted to those things lol. Now look at you. Convinced chameleons use mind control to get you to give them what they want. How else could you explain everyone falling victim to this supers problem? Haha. The chameleon fasting begins.

Mine hasn't been eating lately either. He just turned 11 months. He had been on crickets and dubia roaches and he has maybe had one cricket over a week and a half time period. Since I wasn't sure how long they could really go without eating or hold out on their hunger strike, I gave him a super worm and he ate it. He has had maybe three total in the past 4 days. Seriously debating on getting more super worms. :rolleyes::confused::notworthy::)

Ah, the super worm... My cham, Jasper, currently is only into those as well. Although, I had gotten him to eat a very small number of roaches sporadically after he was done with his meds and such.

It's weird, my chameleons will eat anything I put in front of them, Ryker was more picky when he was young, but now never

EXACTLY what happened to my boy Orion! does anyone know a good way to get them back to hunting down crickets? I tried not giving him an option but he just wont eat and let them die.

Hunger is a very good motivator. If your chameleon is healthy and in good weight, you simply wait them out. Having no prey in the cage for a day or two helps remind them that food might be quite scarce. That's one thing captive chameleons haven't learned, that they need to eat whenever they can because tomorrow there might not be any food. Wild caughts know that. I've always been surprised that traumatized wild caught imports will always eat, even right out of the shipping box from Africa or Madagascar, ones I know are in such terrible shape they will soon die. They still eat.

Sometimes a poor appetite is evidence of a parasitic infection. The infection might not be enough to stop them eating a favorite food, but it will stop them from eating a less favored food. A stool sample might be in order.

Most chameleon pictures I see posted show obese animals and if they went without food for a long time, it might be a good thing for them in the long run.

Hunger is a very good motivator. If your chameleon is healthy and in good weight, you simply wait them out. Having no prey in the cage for a day or two helps remind them that food might be quite scarce. That's one thing captive chameleons haven't learned, that they need to eat whenever they can because tomorrow there might not be any food. Wild caughts know that. I've always been surprised that traumatized wild caught imports will always eat, even right out of the shipping box from Africa or Madagascar, ones I know are in such terrible shape they will soon die. They still eat.

Sometimes a poor appetite is evidence of a parasitic infection. The infection might not be enough to stop them eating a favorite food, but it will stop them from eating a less favored food. A stool sample might be in order.

Most chameleon pictures I see posted show obese animals and if they went without food for a long time, it might be a good thing for them in the long run.

Thanks, what would be a good amount of time before I re-introduce some crickets into his cage? like a day or two without food or are we talking longer?

Thanks, what would be a good amount of time before I re-introduce some crickets into his cage? like a day or two without food or are we talking longer?

Are you normally feeding every day? Adults don't need to be fed every day. So for an adult a fast of two or three days sounds like a good start.

Back
Top Bottom