Don't like those Dubia roaches.

jacksonchamnew

Avid Member
Its like I'm trying to feed my cham and armored triolobite. Roach runs and then stops and Cham does not see it. Roach hides in corners and then stops moving. Roach runs from high to low part of the cage and rarely the other direction. Cham is bored to chase it. The pet store that I got them from was feeding them dry dog food. Now I noticed that ants are on my dubia cup. It has been raining here from tropical storm so maybe ants came in house. Any other problems with these? LOL

I always thought they more resembled roly-polies (wood lice, isopods).

Actually, I've found less problems with dubias than any other feeders I've tried.
They don't stink, make noise, fly, or climb slick surfaces, and they're hard to beat for nutritional value.

Instead of letting them free-range in the enclosure, I'd suggest using a feeder cup, whether a run type or a slick plastic or ceramic bowl (as long as the cham can see them). Yes, they're good at "playing dead" but they can't & don't do that forever.

Yeah, dog food not so good for gut loading; I use carrots & other vegetable leftovers, but that partly depends on... nevermind―just looked up at your handle. :oops:

I'm inclined to think the ants had nothing to do with the dubias per se, but IDK.

Get yourself a bulls eye feeder/feeder cup and that will most likely help your issue.

My Chameleon has eaten two dubia roaches in his 1 1/2 years he just doesn't like them. Have had great luck with silk worms from local sources and one of the sponsor pages. I've tried the spoon method to get them to wiggle upside down but the break dance that @nightanole mentioned sounds way more fun.

Hopefully your Cham will spot one and chow down soon. If not keep trying different feeders

I had a homemade feeder run with the screen on the back for the dubis to climb up and get the chams attention but it was no good so thought my cham didnt like them and one day I just decided to take off the screen and just leave like a feeder cup and it's like my cham liked it because ever since he goes right to it and starts shooting at the dubias sitting at the bottom. Guess they really are all different

Back
Top Bottom