Don't know what to do

BbyK4y

I have an 11 month old chameleon veiled who for a long time I thought was egg bound but took to the vet and found out she wasn't. The vet also said she doesn't have MBD but I'm wondering if there's something more wrong with her. Like she isn't "all there". She can't do anything on her own and she'll only climb about 7 inches off the ground. I don't want to get rid of her I feel bad but I'm not home enough to care for her like she needs.

3utudu6a.jpg
asa9ubu7.jpg

She just sits here for hours and then moves than another couple hours etc etc I don't understand [emoji17]

Can you post some pics of her and fill out the ask for help form in the health clinic? Was she xrayed for eggs at the vet?/

I just saw the pic. She does not look good at all. What do you have her in a fish tank with a water bowl? Do you have a uvb light?

She really is underweight and dehydrated. The vet did nothing or gave you no advice? You may want to seek out a reputable herp vet. She obviously is in a downward spiral. Sorry to be bearer of bad news. At her current state, she is not long for this world. Read the caresheets under resources. Make the necessary husbandry changes. Good luck.

3utudu6a.jpg
asa9ubu7.jpg

She just sits here for hours and then moves than another couple hours etc etc I don't understand [emoji17]

You need a much better vet. Judging from your one pic, this cham has serious problems...most likely MBD or other deficiencies. Please describe your gutloading, your calcium and vitamin dusting schedules, and your lighting in detail.

Honestly you're all ******* rude. It is not my ******* fault she's this way. I literally have more than enough calcium and vitamins I give her daily that I have on a schedule. I did not spend over $500 on things for her to not give her all the treatment and love she needs. She is in the biggest cage a chameleon at her adult size will need. Room to grow. How about you try to be ******* helpful when someone is in need than be judgmental from what you see in a damn photo. She didn't start acting this way until after the vet. So maybe you should just excuse yourself out of this conversation Carol. You're wasting my time judging than helping.

Honestly you're all ******* rude. It is not my ******* fault she's this way. I literally have more than enough calcium and vitamins I give her daily that I have on a schedule. I did not spend over $500 on things for her to not give her all the treatment and love she needs. She is in the biggest cage a chameleon at her adult size will need. Room to grow. How about you try to be ******* helpful when someone is in need than be judgmental from what you see in a damn photo. She didn't start acting this way until after the vet. So maybe you should just excuse yourself out of this conversation Carol. You're wasting my time judging than helping.

Wow you need some help. Calm down and take a deep breath. Everyone is only trying to help you. Your cham is in VERY BAD shape and needs to be seen by a qualified herp vet. We ask for gut loads and supplement info because a lot of people don't get the right info. May I ask how long has this cham been in your care? We only want the best for your cham and want to help you get her better. Please do post how you gutload your feeders, what kind of feeders you feed and the exact supplements you use and when.

You asked for help and provided no real info. on your husbandry (which is what needs to be scrutinized in order to help you).

So when Carol asked you a few basic questions on your set up/husbandry (which you should have provided while asking for help) you accuse her (and others) of being rude?

If you really want to help your chameleon I suggest you start over by:

1- filling out the "how to ask for help" section on this forum.

2- Changing your attitude.

Regards :).

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Please fill this out it will make it a lot easier to help you find out what the problem is.

Wow! You you ask for help and blow when you started getting responses. Probably not the best way to address the situation. That's like going to the doctor and getting mad because the doctor starts asking you questions. I'd say take you chameleon to another vet, maybe you can getting some better answers next time.

I noticed your occupation is working at a big chain pet store. You didn't take the cham to your vet at work did you? I only ask Cuz those vet are not herp vets and can help with NO info.

What??? Judgmental and rude?? Did I miss something? Problems like this come on over time, and they are often caused by a combination of incorrect lighting, incorrect gutloading and dusting. There is a lot of bad husbandry information floating around out there and you and your cham were victims of it. Carol's questions are totally reasonable.

I have to agree with Carlton that the chameleon may have MBD. She isn't showing trunkal lifting and has her lips slightly separated in a curve. Your photos don't show the arms clearly enough to see signs of MBD there which is why I hesitated to comment on this before. You said you're using calcium and vitamins but we need to know the brands and how often for each as well as what you feed/gutload your insects with to see if there is a balance. Also, what source of UVB do you use and what are the cage temperatures?
While romaine is okay to use to feed your chameleon sometimes there are better options....dandelion greens, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, kale, and a bit of apple or pear or melon once in a while.

Btw, Carol is a very helpful person on this forum and I've never known her to be rude. We are all trying to help not judge.

I wish you the very best of luck -- as of right now we do not know why your chameleon is ill. Please take a look at these websites, as it seems you have not posted any information about your chameleon as the others have told you to.

Anyway, here is a list of animal hospitals I could find in your area.

http://chiquitavet.com/

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/florida.html

http://www.banfield.com/our-hospitals/hospital-locations/location-pages/ccl

http://www.myvetonline.com/viscayapradovh/general-information.html

We are only trying to help. The members of our forum may come off as rude to you, but we are asking you essential questions to try and help diagnose what is wrong.

Your veterinarian probably does not know much about Metabolic Bone Disease, because it looks like your chameleon may have that.

To be sure, does she have a UVB lamp? She may not be getting enough calcium due to her producing eggs. Did you know that they produce eggs regardless of being mated or not?

Also, you may want to consider buying a screen cage, like others have said.

You did mention that her cage is big enough and she "has everything she needs" but we have yet to see any real evidence of that, which is why we are being critical.

I have an 11 month old chameleon veiled who for a long time I thought was egg bound but took to the vet and found out she wasn't. The vet also said she doesn't have MBD but I'm wondering if there's something more wrong with her. Like she isn't "all there". She can't do anything on her own and she'll only climb about 7 inches off the ground. I don't want to get rid of her I feel bad but I'm not home enough to care for her like she needs.

Im just trying to establish a timeline so we can better understand the situation. In your later posts you said your cham was not showing signs of illness but you took her to the vet anyway. What symptoms did she have that prompted a vet visit? You elude to her being egg bound, was this the reason for the visit? I have had female veileds with these symptoms and they are egg bound but your cham is very under weight and I do not see any eggs, it may be the angle of the photos.

Based on your posts and your admittance to "not being home enough to care for her", I believe her current condition is based on a lack of adequate husbandry. I think she probably has mbd and needs a vet that specializes in reptiles. If you do not improve her husbandry and get her to a professional she will not make it. These animals do not display pain or illness until it is very dire. This is a ailment that has been developing for a while, longer than the past month.

You said you may have to give her away if she needs help. If this in fact the case I will take her off your hands, as I am sure a bunch of other people will on here too, just let me know. please shoot me a PM.

Back
Top Bottom