DONT HESITATE GETTING A SOLARMETER !! SAVES LIVES !

So I just wanted to say if you are debating spending the extra money and getting a solarmeter 6.5 DONT debate do it ! Just make the purchase for peace of mind. It's not about what's expensive it's about what's RIGHT for your animal. I've only had my new boy for couple of months and have an Arcadia 6% 22watt . On Arcadias box it says to not have the light "less than 10 inches" from animal. So of course I propped the light up on top of the cage and aimed around 14inches (I was scared to cook him with uvb). He was getting nowhere near the proper UVB! I've read Chams are suppose to be around the 3.0 mark and he was getting around half of that (1.5ish) 😔. I'm honestly really glad I got this solarmeter because if not I'd probably have a very sick or dead animal down the road. Ive noticed the last week or 2 hes seemed to be climbing screen walls and traveling alot (also a tad darker than usual) so maybe this contributed??. I still feel really bad because all my other husbandry seems to be on point. I really hope no perm damage was done!:( All his other behavior hasn't changed

There are legitimate economic reasons as well. T5s from both major mfrs. are guaranteed for 1 yr, yet some still insist they should be replaced every 6 months, which IMO is ridiculous. One of my T5s (Reptisun) has been functioning fine for 20 months now. The others are less than a year old, but they're fine too. Replacing bulbs prematurely adds up.

Having your UVB turn on an hour after "lights-on" and turn off an hour before "lights-off" saves 2 hrs/12 each day, which on a yearly basis extends the life of the bulb by approx. 2 months.

While I agree it's a good purchase, 1.5 isn't the end of the world. With proper supplementation it'd likely make no difference at all.
Sorry im seeing this late but thanks for the input deff makes me feel a little better. His supplementing has been good so I was kinda hoping the lack of light would balance out . Either way it's a peace of mind thing now 😂

Sorry im seeing this late but thanks for the input deff makes me feel a little better. His supplementing has been good so I was kinda hoping the lack of light would balance out . Either way it's a peace of mind thing now 😂

Lets be honest here, the rule of thumb is to replace the bulb when its at half capacity. So start at 3.0, and 18-24 months later replace at 1.5.

3.0 is kinda the upper limit they can tolerate, not the minimum. You start bucking 4.0, and you start getting edema and stuff.

Plus as a bonus, if you have multiple chameleons (an inevitability for most of us) it pays for itself after 1 generation by saving on bulb replacements.

They sure are hard for some people to afford though so in time but not now.
That's kind of my point. When people get into this hobby, they know (or should) they will have to invest in certain things like enclosures, lighting, live plants, supplements, feeders, vet expenses, etc.

I just think a UVB meter should be included in that list of "must-haves" upfront instead of as an afterthought or for later.

It was on my list before I got my dragon, which was a precursor to getting a cham. If it hadn't been, there is no way I would have known that the first UVB bulb I got was defective and not putting out ANY UVB—until it was too late and my dragon got early MBD while he was growing & developing.

Kinyonga and I were just discussing all this. It’s why my first two Jackson’s didn’t survive and I swore I’d never have another!

I couldn't tell you how many baby red-eared sliders I went through as a kid who succumbed to soft-shell disease because we didn't know about UVB. Then they banned them when they found most/all of them carried salmonella. Salmonella is still a risk, but now we know about it, and thank goodness they invented that new stuff called "soap". 😁

Lol! Yes we went through them as kids to. There were four of us so my parents had to buy four red eared sliders. They always got mushy and died though and then like you said they banned them. Funny, we never caught salmonella But I’m glad we didn’t!

Lets be honest here, the rule of thumb is to replace the bulb when its at half capacity. So start at 3.0, and 18-24 months later replace at 1.5.

3.0 is kinda the upper limit they can tolerate, not the minimum. You start bucking 4.0, and you start getting edema and stuff.

Plus as a bonus, if you have multiple chameleons (an inevitability for most of us) it pays for itself after 1 generation by saving on bulb replacements.
Thanks for this input ! Glad to know 3.0 is the upper limit. Good to know going into the future. I also have to agree with it paying for itself down the road ESPECIALLY if you are going to get another chameleon (AND WE ARE) 😂😂

That's kind of my point. When people get into this hobby, they know (or should) they will have to invest in certain things like enclosures, lighting, live plants, supplements, feeders, vet expenses, etc.

I just think a UVB meter should be included in that list of "must-haves" upfront instead of as an afterthought or for later.

It was on my list before I got my dragon, which was a precursor to getting a cham. If it hadn't been, there is no way I would have known that the first UVB bulb I got was defective and not putting out ANY UVB—until it was too late and my dragon got early MBD while he was growing & developing.
&& THIS PART MAN ^^ . Couldn't agree more. I personally think that's why so many new keepers have killed their Chams in the past. Most people try and cut corners and take the cheaper route vs. their animals needs 😔 (and in this hobby that's deadly). Personally I think it needs to be put into the "must-have" category & will 300% help me build my new Dragonstrand PROPERLY this week! 10/10 NEED

Back
Top Bottom