Doesn’t like Dubia

Arpretty

Avid Member
Hey folks,

I’ve been caring for a batch of Dubias for about 4 months now. My Cham just does not like them. So I’m basically feeding & caring for these roaches just to keep them alive.....they’ve now gotten massive! Any suggestions on what to do with them????

Hey folks,

I’ve been caring for a batch of Dubias for about 4 months now. My Cham just does not like them. So I’m basically feeding & caring for these roaches just to keep them alive.....they’ve now gotten massive! Any suggestions on what to do with them????
My local mom and pop pet store buys my hornworms from me when they get too big. That may be an option for you. :)

You could try putting one on the screen to get it to crawl. My chameleon likes to eat them that way. Some people have success flipping them on their back so chams can see their legs wiggle.

If your cham is still not interested, you can try selling them on a local reptile Facebook page or to a local reptile store.

In the future I'd cut back on how often you feed your roaches to help stunt their growth. They are hardy insects and can go quite a while without food. I feed my roaches every 1-2 weeks and will gut load the ones I plan on feeding off a day or two before.

He just has zero interest. He’s only ever eaten one, and he looked very shocked when it was in his mouth, haha. They will live in his cage for days!! Good advice on feeding less. They certainly are hardy. I think I’ll give Facebook a try :)

He just has zero interest. He’s only ever eaten one, and he looked very shocked when it was in his mouth, haha. They will live in his cage for days!! Good advice on feeding less. They certainly are hardy. I think I’ll give Facebook a try :)
Same with my Nosy Be, won’t touch them willingly. I tricked him into eating one when I first got him by moving my hand around so he had to hit a moving target and he has never forgiven me...

Same issue here. I ended up giving them away (about 300). I have orange heads now and he will not eat them either :confused:

Not one of my chameleons I've ever owned has had any interest in dubia, which is really annoying as roaches are so easy to breed. If you're looking for an alternative, try orange heads! My panther chameleon loves them

Same problem here. I have a container of at least 200 and suddenly Rio decided he is too good for them :ROFLMAO:

Just ordered some orange heads to see if my picky nosy be, hopefully he’s not too good to eat those. What other Dubia alternatives do I have?

I hear red runners get their attention well. I just can't seem to find a strait answer on if they can infest where I live in southern California.

Not one of my chameleons I've ever owned has had any interest in dubia, which is really annoying as roaches are so easy to breed. If you're looking for an alternative, try orange heads! My panther chameleon loves them

I will try these!! What site do you order from?

Now I'm interested in orange heads lol. I've never heard of them before. I've been hesitant on buying any feeders online. My Petco has roaches but they are always almost all dead. And the hornworms they have a huuuuuuuge.

I will try these!! What site do you order from?

I ordered mine from a website called "Kritters for Christ" lol. I'd never heard of them before, but they had good prices. Just went to check now and they only have starter colonies in stock (when I bought, it was per roach), though.

The order came in these cutesy wedding favor-style bags and with....a religious comic warning of the dangers of procrastinating surrendering yourself to god (read: burning in hell). No lie. :ROFLMAO:

I ordered mine from a website called "Kritters for Christ" lol. I'd never heard of them before, but they had good prices. Just went to check now and they only have starter colonies in stock (when I bought, it was per roach), though.

The order came in these cutesy wedding favor-style bags and with....a religious comic warning of the dangers of procrastinating surrendering yourself to god (read: burning in hell). No lie. :ROFLMAO:

Whoa. I’m sold. Now I gotta see this o_O

Obviously depending on the age of the cham, you would be surprised by the size of hornworms they can eat. No store around me has any other roach besides dubia. I would love to try orange heads or red runners before I buy a big supply to make sure they will even eat them.

Now I'm interested in orange heads lol. I've never heard of them before. I've been hesitant on buying any feeders online. My Petco has roaches but they are always almost all dead. And the hornworms they have a huuuuuuuge.
EBay is hands down the best place to buy feeders.

Back
Top Bottom