Does your chameleon refuse to eat when you're watching?

I got a Jackson's chameleon and so far I haven't seen him eat at all (I've watched him drink a few times). I set up a homemade feeder using a milk jug and piece of screen for the insects to climb on but he never goes after the food. However, the crickets and dubias keep disappearing and I'm not finding them anywhere else in the cage, so maybe he's eating when I'm not looking? I've been feeding crickets, small dubias and small super worms (even the worms have disappeared somewhere apparently).

I experienced this a little when I first got Leo. He never seemed to eat but his food bowl would always be empty. Sometimes I found the BSFL I was feeding him in the drainage bucket, but other times I couldn’t find any BSFL or crickets anywhere in his enclosure. Eventually I saw him eat, and now every morning when I come in to open his cage he comes running to his food bowl! He’ll also eat out of my hand now. Took some time, but I’m sure you’ll see your Jackson eating soon. How old is he? How long have you had him?

I got a Jackson's chameleon and so far I haven't seen him eat at all (I've watched him drink a few times). I set up a homemade feeder using a milk jug and piece of screen for the insects to climb on but he never goes after the food. However, the crickets and dubias keep disappearing and I'm not finding them anywhere else in the cage, so maybe he's eating when I'm not looking? I've been feeding crickets, small dubias and small super worms (even the worms have disappeared somewhere apparently).
This is very common try laying on the ground or sitting below him and staying really still. If your above him at all it’s imtimidating. Just take it slow don’t force anything keep the same routine let him see that your the one bringing the food and you mean no harm don’t try to touch him or anything. He still may never do it but more than likely over time he’ll start to trust you more and more. Also try not Looking right at him try looking down or at the feeders. Chameleons watch our eyes and when your eyes are on him he’s the prey, sometimes they’ll even go get the feeder bug with the thought that you might get it first if they don’t. A great info source is the chameleon breeder podcast, for anyone just starting with chameleons it’s a must.

I experienced this a little when I first got Leo. He never seemed to eat but his food bowl would always be empty. Sometimes I found the BSFL I was feeding him in the drainage bucket, but other times I couldn’t find any BSFL or crickets anywhere in his enclosure. Eventually I saw him eat, and now every morning when I come in to open his cage he comes running to his food bowl! He’ll also eat out of my hand now. Took some time, but I’m sure you’ll see your Jackson eating soon. How old is he? How long have you had him?

I just got him a few days ago. He's "medium" size so not sure how old (6 months?). I've seen him hanging out by the feeder even after I turned the lights out. Here he is drinking:

Lol yes sir. I bought an Arlo, now I can watch when he thinks I'm not looking!

Back
Top Bottom