Does plant outside of safe plant list will be dangerous?

foxngn

Dear member,

This is my first post here, I'm having a juvie male veiled chameleon.
I would like to add some plant to my enclosure.
The plant I'm looking to use is a type of hanging plant, named: plectranthus prostratus.

I searched online it doesn't seems to possessed any toxicity, but I'm not sure whether is it appropriate to used in my cham enclosure or not.

Here's a picture from google.

Attachments

• 4bc16567057924e969a64b0177231a6e.jpeg
    4bc16567057924e969a64b0177231a6e.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 85
All I can find is that it isn’t toxic to dogs, but is to cats. Another form of it, plectranthus australis (aka Swedish Ivy) is on a safe for reptile list that I found, but I can’t vouch for it being correct. Personally, I wouldn’t risk it and stick with the tried and true.
84EA4F2E-0D9B-4F48-8436-35478E6BF1C3.jpeg
41E3073D-A44B-46D3-B00B-7193B154F5D3.jpeg

That plant sure would be a great addition to your chameleon environment. Hopefully it turns out to be non toxic. I got a feeling you will be OK with it. Just take it slow and continue doing your research.

Thankyou all for your opinion.
To be honest, before this I tried to find a lot of info for this plant, but most ended up with same information, with unknown toxicity.
It will makes a great plant list if is safe, as it grow fast, grow long, and it could tolerate from full shaded to full sun.

As well as it got some sort of herb fragrance coming out from the plant.

There are hundreds of thousands of plants in existence and only a handful on the cham-safe list. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to be perfect

So wait is this plant toxic? I’m getting mixed signals for it. earlier it’s stated that it’s toxic but on chameleon academy it says it’s fine? 😵‍💫
image.jpg

Last edited:
So wait is this plant toxic? I’m getting mixed signals for it. earlier it’s stated that it’s toxic but on chameleon academy it says it’s fine? 😵‍💫View attachment 325522
This is coleus right ?
I can't comment as I'm still on learning progress.
But since I'm keeping veiled I'm needed to be more careful, thus i only chosen those that listed veiled tested one under chameleon academy.

So far i only found my veiled chomp on my pothos.
Yet to found evidence of it munching on umbrella plant nor boston fern.

My veild also chomps on her leaves, mostly her umbrella plant and sometimes her pothos. Im hoping that the Coleus isn’t toxic but again im getting mixed signals from research and Can’t figure it out lol.

Back
Top Bottom