Does my veiled look healthy? Problems with feeding...

So a basking light, which provides heat & a heat light, which provides heat. But no UVB light such as an Arcadia T5 6% or 12%? Or a Reptisun T5, 10.0 or 5.0? Chameleons need UVB as well as heat to be able to digest & process their food appropriately.
I use EXOTERRA Reptile UVB 100. That's the bulb on the left.

Your chameleon has not been getting any UVB, so it cannot utilize the calcium you are giving it. This could quite possibly be the beginning of MBD. It can affect their ability to use their tongue.

You are so very lucky his allowing you to hand feed and water him. You MUST get him a source of UVB now. Even if all you can afford is the crappy swirly bulb, that is better than nothing.

What do you gutload with? Get a linear uvb bulb and fixture, use the proper supplements at the proper times, get the temps and humidity right (veiled care sheet has it), and use a proper gutload. Losing tongue function can be a result of MBD

The coil type UVB bulbs do not have much penetration and are pretty worthless. You need a linear (tube style) T5 HO UVB. I prefer Arcadia bulbs because they keep their potency for a year, while Reptisun needs to be changed more frequently.

Ah, I read heat light and basking light and thought you had nothing at all.

Lots of things can cause tongue issues, but MBD is very common.
I don't believe he has a tongue issue. It doesn't look like he has anything wrong in his mouth and at the beginning of his hunger strike in August I got him to shoot. It took like 30 minutes of me holding a worm in front of him but he still shot at it when he realized I wasn't going to put it in his mouth. Perhaps I will not feed him for a couple days and release crickets.

The coil type UVB bulbs do not have much penetration and are pretty worthless. You need a linear (tube style) T5 HO UVB. I prefer Arcadia bulbs because they keep their potency for a year, while Reptisun needs to be changed more frequently.
Would you be able to link me to where I can find that?

Use either a quality commercial gutload, like Cricket Crack, Pangea, Repashy, or Mazuri and/or organic fresh fruits and veggies from the gutload list here in the food and nutrition tab in resources

He's spoiled on wax works and superworms, skip one or two feedings and then only offer him crickets. What are you gutloading with? Try some other feeders like silkworms, hornworms butterworms, black soldiers flies and larvae, blue bottle flies, and roaches (red runner, dubias, orange-headed, and ivory-headed roaches can't climb or fly). Don't handle him often, if his happier colors are brighter colors, then he's either pissed or stressed from handling. He needs a better free range set up and uvb cannot pass through windows. Chameleons are like fish, look but don't touch. He needs phosphorus free calcium without D3 every feeding, phosphorus free calcium with D3 twice monthly, and a multivitamin without D3 twice monthly. Give him all the water he wants. He needs to be misted at least 3 times a day, but preferably more, for at least 2 minutes each time, but preferably for 5. Make sure to put the dripper above a plant so it falls onto the leaves below. Make sure to have a drainage system in place, as well. Is your uvb linear or a compact coil? Is your basking light white, red, or blue? Go to the hardware and buy a digital temp gun for basking temps and a digital thermometer/hygrometer combo for ambient temp and humidity levels. Get some live plants since veileds do eat plants. FL Chams has a cham safe plant list on their website.
Could you recommend me a link to what brands you use for calcium and vitamin supliments?

Could you recommend me a link to what brands you use for calcium and vitamin supliments?
I use tons of different ones. Just use Zoo Med calcium without D3 every feeding and Zoo Med Reptivite with D3 twice monthly (every two weeks). Give me a second and I'll post links for lighting and supplements, and gutload, if you want it

I don't believe he has a tongue issue. It doesn't look like he has anything wrong in his mouth and at the beginning of his hunger strike in August I got him to shoot. It took like 30 minutes of me holding a worm in front of him but he still shot at it when he realized I wasn't going to put it in his mouth. Perhaps I will not feed him for a couple days and release crickets.

That would be great! They can be picky eaters. You can hold out food for a couple of days and try crickets and nothing but.

Back
Top Bottom