Does my Veiled Chameleon have all the correct supplies?

Hi there! So I just got my veiled chameleon a month ago, and I’ve reaserched a ton about, then I’m pretty sure I have the right supplies but I just wanted to ask all you folks just to clarify.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled, unsexed, unsure of age, looks pretty young maybe 4-5 months, had him for around a month.
Handling - Very rarely, almost never isn’t very fond of handing
Feeding - Crickets, Horn worms, Dubia Roaches and occasional super worms. The crickets are fed mostly carrots and apples.
Supplements - Repashy Calcium Plus LoD, he gets it supplemented in his feeding cup two times a week.
Watering - I hand mist him twice or more a day and I often see him drinking from the glass wall of his terarium.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - ReptiBreeze screen terrarium 24x24x48 (2ft x 2ft x 4ft)
Lighting - Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 linear 5.0,Exo terra intense basking spot light 75w, Fish tank Plant Light
Temperature - (82-90F) in his basking, (66-72F) in the bottom.
Humidity - 35-45 for most of the day, 60-80% at night
Plants - He has a Pothos plant and a fern both live plants.
Placement - He’s in my bedroom. No traffic, but also no direct sunlight.

Hi there. Can you post pictures of the entire enclosure and the cham? I can review your form there are a few things that should be corrected
Sorry my phone camera is broken at the moment, so Its hard for me to be able to take pictures, I’ll see what I can do, it might just be easier to review the forum. ill try to take some pictures. not sure if they will come out good though lol.

Welcome..Send pics !!...back of feet to determine sex..males have a third claw or spur as they call it ....also males have vertical bars where as females have a more horizontal pattern ...supplement with phosphorus free calciums with no d3..you want to alternate every other week using a phosphorus free calcium with d3 rotating with a multi vitimin..not for certain but I think the repashy loD is the replacement for both ..the repashy loD is specially formulated for jacksons ..as far as a veiled I'm not sure if you wanna be using it once a month or twice.but alot of pros with alot of experience can help sort that out ...

30A3728C-0AC8-4816-B394-00A19795E0D7.jpeg

Attachments

• 81404D47-BB50-4BA7-9744-F19DD0E3E927.jpeg
    81404D47-BB50-4BA7-9744-F19DD0E3E927.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 140
I don’t know if these would be of help, the lights are much brighter than they appear on picture. And don’t mind the lack of decor, I’m going to the store today to pick up a bunch of plants and natural wood. I would really appreciate any constructive criticism as I’m always happy to improve stuff for my animals. And I would like my chameleon to live the best life it possible can. I also did forget to mention that I have a reptifogger and Big dripper to.

@VeiledPanthers See my feedback in bold

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled, unsexed, unsure of age, looks pretty young maybe 4-5 months, had him for around a month. Post a pic of the back of the back feet. That is how you tell gender with Veileds.
Feeding - Crickets, Horn worms, Dubia Roaches and occasional super worms. The crickets are fed mostly carrots and apples. Gutload should be expanded see image below. How many are you feeding baby a day? Make sure feeders are size appropriate especially the hornworms.
Supplements - Repashy Calcium Plus LoD, he gets it supplemented in his feeding cup two times a week. So this really needs to be supplemented on the feeders not put in a cup. You want to shake the feeders in the supplement and lightly coat them then give them to the cham. Some chams tolerate the LoD at each feeding and some do not. So options here are you use this supplement at EVERY feeding OR you use it two times a month say the 1st and the 15th then at all other feedings you would use a calcium without D3. Repashy makes a Calcium NoD formula that is really good.
Watering - I hand mist him twice or more a day and I often see him drinking from the glass wall of his terarium. What do you mean glass wall? You say below he is in a repti breeze screen cage. Are you providing a dripper during the day? Misting morning and evening for 2-4 minutes is recommended.

Cage Info:
Lighting - Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 linear 5.0,Exo terra intense basking spot light 75w, Fish tank Plant Light Make sure there is at least 10 inches between the cham and the basking spot light. Those run hot and focused heat. Very easy to cause a thermal burn. 60 watt normal incandescent white bulb is recommended for heat. What is your distance between the UVB and the closest branch? Should be 8-9 inches to get the correct UVI level at the branch.
Temperature - (82-90F) in his basking, (66-72F) in the bottom. Basking is way too hot. 80-85 on the very max end. Most keep their chams cooler at basking no hotter then 82 or so for a male. A female would not be kept any hotter then 80. You want a night time temp drop to at least 65.
Plants - He has a Pothos plant and a fern both live plants. I would pull the fern. Veileds eat their plants and ferns are not something that is a veiled tested plant. Depending on the type it could also cause issues. See this link for Veiled tested. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Chameleon-Plants-061321.pdf
Placement - He’s in my bedroom. No traffic, but also no direct sunlight. Make sure the cage is up off the floor on a table.

This is an excellent husbandry program. It will teach you a lot. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-food(1).jpg

I don’t know if these would be of help, the lights are much brighter than they appear on picture. And don’t mind the lack of decor, I’m going to the store today to pick up a bunch of plants and natural wood. I would really appreciate any constructive criticism as I’m always happy to improve stuff for my animals. And I would like my chameleon to live the best life it possible can. I also did forget to mention that I have a reptifogger and Big dripper to.
See feedback I posted above. Make sure the fogger is only used at night when temps are below 67. Never use it during the day with the lights on and temps are hot or the cham can develop an RI.

You already know you need to do a ton to that cage. Plastic trellis can be cut to size and zip tied in place for the side and back panels. This way you can attach branches to it.

I will need a clear image of the back feet to determine gender. Males have a tarsal spur. Females will not have it. It is smooth across the back of the foot. See pics below.

Attachments

• Tarsal spur1.jpg
    Tarsal spur1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 100
  • tarsal Spur2.jpg
    tarsal Spur2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 103
Ok

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled, unsexed, unsure of age, looks pretty young maybe 4-5 months, had him for around a month. Post a pic of the back of the back feet. That is how you tell gender with Veileds.
Feeding - Crickets, Horn worms, Dubia Roaches and occasional super worms. The crickets are fed mostly carrots and apples. Gutload should be expanded see image below. How many are you feeding baby a day? Make sure feeders are size appropriate especially the hornworms.
Supplements - Repashy Calcium Plus LoD, he gets it supplemented in his feeding cup two times a week. So this really needs to be supplemented on the feeders not put in a cup. You want to shake the feeders in the supplement and lightly coat them then give them to the cham. Some chams tolerate the LoD at each feeding and some do not. So options here are you use this supplement at EVERY feeding OR you use it two times a month say the 1st and the 15th then at all other feedings you would use a calcium without D3. Repashy makes a Calcium NoD formula that is really good.
Watering - I hand mist him twice or more a day and I often see him drinking from the glass wall of his terarium. What do you mean glass wall? You say below he is in a repti breeze screen cage. Are you providing a dripper during the day? Misting morning and evening for 2-4 minutes is recommended.

Cage Info:
Lighting - Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 linear 5.0,Exo terra intense basking spot light 75w, Fish tank Plant Light Make sure there is at least 10 inches between the cham and the basking spot light. Those run hot and focused heat. Very easy to cause a thermal burn. 60 watt normal incandescent white bulb is recommended for heat. What is your distance between the UVB and the closest branch? Should be 8-9 inches to get the correct UVI level at the branch.
Temperature - (82-90F) in his basking, (66-72F) in the bottom. Basking is way too hot. 80-85 on the very max end. Most keep their chams cooler at basking no hotter then 82 or so for a male. A female would not be kept any hotter then 80. You want a night time temp drop to at least 65.
Plants - He has a Pothos plant and a fern both live plants. I would pull the fern. Veileds eat their plants and ferns are not something that is a veiled tested plant. Depending on the type it could also cause issues. See this link for Veiled tested. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Chameleon-Plants-061321.pdf
Placement - He’s in my bedroom. No traffic, but also no direct sunlight. Make sure the cage is up off the floor on a table.

This is an excellent husbandry program. It will teach you a lot. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

View attachment 306673View attachment 306674
ay

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

View attachment 306673View attachment 306674
Okay thank you so so much! I’m always happy to improve my chameleons needs. I’m going to the store today so hopefully i’m able to pick up some of the stuff you mentioned, and improve my heating and lighting gradients, thank you so much I greatly appreciate it, and I’m sure my veiled will to!

Ok

ay

Okay thank you so so much! I’m always happy to improve my chameleons needs. I’m going to the store today so hopefully i’m able to pick up some of the stuff you mentioned, and improve my heating and lighting gradients, thank you so much I greatly appreciate it, and I’m sure my veiled will to!
Your welcome let us know what other questions you have.

I would read through this https://chameleonacademy.com/setting-up-a-chameleon-cage/
and this https://chameleonacademy.com/case-study-2-x-2-x-4-cage/
To give you a better idea of proper set up before you go buy a bunch of stuff. :)

I was also planning on giving my veiled a bioactive enclosure with large chameleon safe trees. If that’s possible just left me know, the chameleon usually never tends to be at the bottom anyways though so I could really see impaction as a risk.

I was also planning on giving my veiled a bioactive enclosure with large chameleon safe trees. If that’s possible just left me know, the chameleon usually never tends to be at the bottom anyways though so I could really see impaction as a risk.
Others have done this with their Veileds. Just needs to be done correctly with plenty of leaf litter on top. Read through this.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/
and this
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/blog/bio-active-vivaria.40647/

Back
Top Bottom