Does my plant still contain Coccidia?

PoseidonTheChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
As some of you may know, a few months ago Poseidon had Coccidia. He was treated and is now as healthy as can be. He had a pothos plant in his enclosure that I had put outside and forgot about, not knowing what to do with it. Well it kind of died and came back. It's very full and I would really like to use it again but I'm not sure if even though it sort of died and I would re pot it, if it still poses a threat to Poseidon and could possibly re-introduce him with Coccidia. Thank you for your help.

Personally I would toss. BUT if you want to keep it just to have a nice plant in the house... Strip the roots of the soil and toss the soil. Then take the plant and soak it in dawn soapy water... Rinse and repeat. Rinse then really well to get off all soap. Yard sprayer works well for the rinsing. Then repot in clean new soil. I do not think I would use it again with a cham but that is just me. lol

The oocysts do wash away... They do not die once they are washed away though. They can actually live years until ingested creating the cycle again.

Personally I would toss. BUT if you want to keep it just to have a nice plant in the house... Strip the roots of the soil and toss the soil. Then take the plant and soak it in dawn soapy water... Rinse and repeat. Rinse then really well to get off all soap. Yard sprayer works well for the rinsing. Then repot in clean new soil. I do not think I would use it again with a cham but that is just me. lol

The oocysts do wash away... They do not die once they are washed away though. They can actually live years until ingested creating the cycle again.

Being a pothos, could always replace soil and cut away a lot of it and let it regrow.

Back
Top Bottom