Does everything look okay here?

DogStar

Hello, I just got a adult Panther Chameleon from a reptile expo 3 days ago. I have everything set up correctly from all the research I have done but he has remained a very dark unhappy color. I assume it might just take time for him to get used to his new home but I wanted to check with everyone here. He has been eating and drinking but just not coloring up.

Enclosure = 2'x2'x4' Reptibreeze (3 sides wrapped in clear shower curtain for humidity)
UVB= 22" Reptisun T5 5.0 in Carolina Cages reflector fixture (checked UVI with Solar Meter reading 3-5 from all branches)
Basking = 75 watt bulb (basking spot 85-90f)
LED grow light for plants
Fogger set to start at 10pm and go off every 30 min
The enclosure is in my office which stays at about 75 degrees normally.

Attachments

• 2022-03-29 (1).jpg
    2022-03-29 (1).jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 2022-03-29.jpg
    2022-03-29.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 2022-03-29 (2).jpg
    2022-03-29 (2).jpg
    246 KB · Views: 102
Basking is too hot... And awfully close to the cham which is a thermal burn risk. Your looking for 80-85max at the branch. Most of us keep basking closer to 80 at the branch. And temp is checked with a wired probe temp gauge to ensure it is not too hot.

Your only running the fogger at night correct?

Ok thank you. I will adjust the basking light to a lower branch. I have been using a temp gun to check the branch temp. Yes fogger only comes on for about 5 hours at night. Have also been misting after lights out too.

Ok thank you. I will adjust the basking light to a lower branch. I have been using a temp gun to check the branch temp. Yes fogger only comes on for about 5 hours at night. Have also been misting after lights out too.
so go buy a temp gauge with a probe. Hook in the probe on the side of the branch below basking with a zip tie and clean cut the end of the zip tie off so it is not sharp. If it is 80 at the branch it will be a few degrees higher where he rises up. Lifting the basking fixture up off the top is a good way to adjust temps without disturbing him inside the cage more.

The jungle vines could end up being an issue. Most keepers do not use them because the coating comes off this can be an issue if the cham rubs its eyes on the branch. Flukers makes the only fake vines that I would use with a chameleon.

Get a fecal done to ensure the cham does not have parasites.

If you would like to do a full husbandry review let me know and I will give you the form to fill out.

Ok I will replace the vines and set up a probe thermometer. Is it normal at all for them to stay dark for a while after changing to a new owner?

Ok I will replace the vines and set up a probe thermometer. Is it normal at all for them to stay dark for a while after changing to a new owner?
So dark can indicate stress.. Dark can also indicate basking and soaking up the heat. You have the cage in front of a window as well. This can cause stress if they are seeing a lot of movement outside the window. They are eye level with the movement or below it. This puts them in a reactive stance because they are low and feel more at risk. With them being arboreal animals they get their safety by being above it all. So this then rolls into the cage height in the room as well. Are you standing over the cage or looking up at them? Etc...

Also windows are reflective. We try to avoid reflective with chams. Mirrors in the room etc.

so go buy a temp gauge with a probe. Hook in the probe on the side of the branch below basking with a zip tie and clean cut the end of the zip tie off so it is not sharp. If it is 80 at the branch it will be a few degrees higher where he rises up. Lifting the basking fixture up off the top is a good way to adjust temps without disturbing him inside the cage more.

The jungle vines could end up being an issue. Most keepers do not use them because the coating comes off this can be an issue if the cham rubs its eyes on the branch. Flukers makes the only fake vines that I would use with a chameleon.

Get a fecal done to ensure the cham does not have parasites.

If you would like to do a full husbandry review let me know and I will give you the form to fill out.
Is that something you would have to have done at the vet to check for parasites. he seems to be a little bit skinny but not as much so as he was when I got him.

Is that something you would have to have done at the vet to check for parasites. he seems to be a little bit skinny but not as much so as he was when I got him.
I am a little confused... Is this also your thread but under a different name?

Parasites are checked via a fresh fecal taken to a vet. This cham being purchased at an expo does not mean it had the best care prior nor do you really know where it is originally from so a parasite check would be a good idea to rule out potential issues.

Based on how he's angling one side to the heat source, I'd guess he's dark because he's trying to soak up some rays.

The vines are probably fine. It's not true that most keepers do not use them. They're perfectly safe.

I knw alot of new keeper use and end up with eye problems. From stuff in eyes little pieces can come off in time and end up in eye when they rub them on it. Seen it posted on here alot. So y take the chance

Back
Top Bottom