Does changing cage layout stress chameleon?

Yes-it absolutely does. But if it is a change for the better it is worth some temporary stress.

I agree with Julirs. I believe this had a huge impact on Leo which ultimately led to his death. I do not know his EXACT reason for dying but changing his cage caused him severe stress, as did moving it into another room. So I would not do it unless its absolutely necessary and for the better so it doesnt have to be done again. ;)

when i do a deep clean i remove all the plants but i leave the vines in place and scrub them down and leave in the sun to dry while mista sits in his weeping fig watching the telly,that way i know i put things back in the right place

when i do a deep clean i remove all the plants but i leave the vines in place and scrub them down and leave in the sun to dry while mista sits in his weeping fig watching the telly,that way i know i put things back in the right place
Nice idea .ive jus done a slight change in Engleberts cage ,for the better i think ill not to another change from now on.

sometimes yes....if they see you

lets just say you could make your chameleon go to sleep just by looking at them....

so you just made them go to sleep and you changed the way everything looks, then woke him up all without seeing you.... i doubt this would stress the cham out.

or it was awake the whole time and was in the cage while you were changing things. most likely if it is stressed out there are not so subtle phys. signs.

at any rate unless you are taking hrs to change things, even if it does stress out the cham not all stress is necessarily bad. Ive always thought small amounts of stress can benefit almost any animal.

without stress IMHO animals become weak in a way. chams stress in the wild lets not forget.

dont go overboard though.

a chameleon that passed due to stress related problems was either exposed to prolonged stress which make the immune system weak and fell victim to an illness, or was sick already and the stress did them in. depending on a lot of variables of course ;) its such a bummer to hear about cases like that betty, sometimes i feel like we are all exposing our chams to low levels of constant stress without even knowing it.

Last edited:
Interesting! I came accross this very early on when I removed several plants from the cage and introduced one very large ficus. He sulked for a while and I stressed so much, I changed it back.

Since then Ive made fine adjustments on occasion (rearranging branches, larger branches etc to accomodate his growth) One little thing at a time, so far no stress.
Just tonight, I returned an invigorated ficus (previously in the cage *) in place of a well growing pothos whch I repotted and hung up high. (first time with hanging plant in what was previously entirely open space.)
I did this quietly and in low light whilst he was sleeping, without waking him. Hopefully in the morning he will like the change! Will update!

*The ficus dropped most of its leaves and has been on front step for some weeks.
I think the cause was not enough light, so this maybe remedied by the small but bright flourescent compact I added for increased day lighting intesity.
If this dosent remedy it, I will try a plant grow tube made for aquarium plants.

Back
Top Bottom