Does anyone use a growlight as a heat source?

shootapalooza

I recently picked up a 25 Watt Indoor Sunshine Spiral Bulb to help keep a hibiscus alive and I noticed that it gave off a bit of heat. The digital temps read 85F at a basking branch(The cage is for a baby panther).

This gave me the idea of simply removing my 40W bulb heat source and using the grow bulb's heat instead.

Thoughts?

I was thinking that was well; However the hibiscus Needs the extra UVB(my 1st hibiscus didnt do so well without it), so I was going to kill 2 birds with 1 stone on this 1

those types of CFL are not hard on the eyes. I dont know what you mean by that. Is it just because they are bright that you feel they are hard on eyes?
They dont give off much heat either. Certainly no where near a 40w incandesent.
The plant is unlikely to be needing extra UVB, rather it needs 6000k light for growing, 2500K for flowers. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/344-lighting-plants.html

Last edited:
Right right. The Indoor sunshine CFL is 5300 Kelvin to help with the growth. Plus it looks very nice :) Because I dont have the first-hand experience with CFLs, I always have the negative feedback in the back of my mind.

So, if the basking spot under the Indoor sunshine is 84-85, couldnt I just use that as my basking spot instead of having 2?

Thank you for the lighting link btw. Theres good info on there :)

Back
Top Bottom