Does anyone know where I can find a Senegal Chameleon?

Short answer is no. The forum search function yielded this: Senegal Chameleon Captive Breeding. This could be out of date but my look around the internet tells me there aren't a lot of options. Given the lack of replies I doubt that has changed. If someone else on the forum has more experience with these hopefully they'll reply.

We have to be careful with that species because it is under threat due to the pet trade and most of these chams I see online are wild caught, which is irresponsible unless you're a breeder with a lot of knowledge. From what I've read Senegal chams are hard to breed successfully in captivity and since wc chams are so cheap there is no incentive to go through the effort breeding them: another post on Senegal chams from another good forum. Even if you get one, they are not very hardy or long-lived and they are not recommended for beginners. They dehydrate and become calcium deficient very easily. Plus, wild caught chams are much more likely to die due to stress or have health problems especially parasites. While I loved visiting Africa, I did not like the flight as a human, I can't imagine the stress a delicate cham undergoes on such a journey.

I don't know your experience level, but I highly recommend a panther, veiled, or jackson for a first chameleon. They are much more common responsibly captive bred and are generally more hardy.

Short answer is no. The forum search function yielded this: Senegal Chameleon Captive Breeding. This could be out of date but my look around the internet tells me there aren't a lot of options. Given the lack of replies I doubt that has changed. If someone else on the forum has more experience with these hopefully they'll reply.

We have to be careful with that species because it is under threat due to the pet trade and most of these chams I see online are wild caught, which is irresponsible unless you're a breeder with a lot of knowledge. From what I've read Senegal chams are hard to breed successfully in captivity and since wc chams are so cheap there is no incentive to go through the effort breeding them: another post on Senegal chams from another good forum. Even if you get one, they are not very hardy or long-lived and they are not recommended for beginners. They dehydrate and become calcium deficient very easily. Plus, wild caught chams are much more likely to die due to stress or have health problems especially parasites. While I loved visiting Africa, I did not like the flight as a human, I can't imagine the stress a delicate cham undergoes on such a journey.

I don't know your experience level, but I highly recommend a panther, veiled, or jackson for a first chameleon. They are much more common responsibly captive bred and are generally more hardy.
All i can agree with one little note: tjisnsoecies is not considered endangered At any level. Itnis widely anundant in Africa

All i can agree with one little note: tjisnsoecies is not considered endangered At any level. Itnis widely anundant in Africa
I'm not saying its legally "endangered" a la the US Endangered Species Act, more that continued unmitigated wild collection is bad for the wild population. Even if they are prolific, we will prevent them from becoming threatened by discouraging wild collection for the pet trade. We need to do for Senegal chams what you've done for veiled chameleons so we can responsibly enjoy them captive bred.

Last edited:
I'm not saying its legally "endangered" a la the US Endangered Species Act, more that continued unmitigated wild collection is bad for the wild population. Even if they are prolific, we will prevent them from becoming threatened by discouraging wild collection for the pet trade. We need to do for Senegal chams what you've done for veiled chameleons so we can responsibly enjoy them captive bred.

rhe problem is
They are too cheap
Tjey do not dk weľ in captivity
They rarely reproduce
Because oeople keep them wrong way (too warm, without night fogging)

As Petr has said, there are a lot of reasons there are not efforts to establish a breeding effort.

i think the two major factors are that they’re cheap as WC and that they’re often difficult To acclimate

Back
Top Bottom