Does anyone know what this is on one of my plants?

IramBa

Hi everyone,
I have 3 pothos in my chameleons enclosure, 2 ‘regular’ and one golden. The golden one every now and then I find this brown dust like stuff on the leaves, not all the leaves just maybe 1/2. I’ve attached a picture so that it’s visible, I have no idea what it is and how to stop it or if it’s even anything not good. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DFB1F785-BFF9-4FFE-AF72-20BC19642DCA.jpeg
    DFB1F785-BFF9-4FFE-AF72-20BC19642DCA.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 44
Hi. Do you mean the dark brown splotches or the tan crusts at the leaf edge? Although, I’ve no idea what either could be. If you want to play it safe, you can remove & replace it, wash the leaves with a gentle dish soap, rinse very well and keep it as a back up plant. If the spots persist after that, you may want to make it a pretty porch plant for summer.

I've washed it all off and removed leaves that looked as if they weren't quite right (either some browning or just a hole on them). Will see how it goes for today and then decide. I mean the tan edges, its almost like a dusty texture that just rubs off... No clue

The white powdery stuff could be mildew.

Can you get a couple more of photos of the brown please…closer if possible.

I initially thought it was mildew, but can't find any similar photos online. If it comes back i'll take more pictures but that's the only one I took before i wiped it off today.

If you have hard water that u are mizting with, it could be that. Soapy water with kill plant parasites. I would wash them good and replace them then mist and fog with distilled wAter and see if that takes care of it. I wipe my plants down with chlorahexidine. Its safe for all.but kills mites etc..

We have pretty soft water compared to most, good idea though. I’ll see if it returns and act accordingly. Thank you everyone for your help so far 😀

Update:
It’s back. It wasn’t there last night so it’s built up since 8pm last night to 8am this morning. Still no clue what it is. This is a much better picture of it though.
I cut the leaf off the plant and have kept it for now

Attachments

• DFC993A5-0606-4DC6-80B1-C72CC5F3DC40.jpeg
    DFC993A5-0606-4DC6-80B1-C72CC5F3DC40.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 5E2C2161-5C17-4937-A6DE-BC53C2527AC4.jpeg
    5E2C2161-5C17-4937-A6DE-BC53C2527AC4.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
That is so peculiar, it looks like termite dust. I have nothing helpful to say, I’m just as curious as you are!

Update:
It’s back. It wasn’t there last night so it’s built up since 8pm last night to 8am this morning. Still no clue what it is. This is a much better picture of it though.
I cut the leaf off the plant and have kept it for now
ummm check your branches above it... Wood weevils will bore a hole out of branches and the dust from them digging out looks just like that.

^^^
Did you get any of your branches from Michael’s or another craft store? Those are the ones that seem to have the wood pests. Oddly enough, the branches you collect from outside yourself have a lower likelihood of having pests.

I got them all from a nearby forest, I can’t see any holes in any parts of the wood. But I’ll have a more in depth look now

Wait I found 1 singular hole. Looks like it could be that. But where’s the Weevil gone?
Edit:
On further inspection, that one branch has quite a few holes on it. Should I check the others too or is it likely that it’s only that one branch?

Wait I found 1 singular hole. Looks like it could be that. But where’s the Weevil gone?
Edit:
On further inspection, that one branch has quite a few holes on it. Should I check the others too or is it likely that it’s only that one branch?
So it is likely that it is that one branch... Pull the branch out. Then keep an eye on it. The holes are very small and I would go ahead and check for dust other places to see if any other branches had them hatch out. I had this happen and once that branch was removed it was fine.

Weirdly enough, that is the one branch in his entire enclosure that I didn't get from the forest... I bought it at a local reptile store for about £15... (so much for just a branch). I've taken it out and I'll go back to the forest to pick up some replacements for him so that he isn't missing out. Thank you, all, so much for the help.

My guess is either:

excess minerals. plants, especially aroids like pothos and philodendrons, transpire through their leaves which often collects at the tip or margins of the leaf. If there is excess mineral in the soil / water they can shed it. Sorta like plant snalt :p. Sometimes light can also cause minor holes or spots in those areas from the water magnifying the light.

It could also be crusty mechanical damage from the plant trying to unfurl the new leaf. Sometimes they get stuck and that can cause irregularities in the leaf.

Doesn’t look like any pest damage that I’m familiar with.

Back
Top Bottom