Does anyone have any tricks for bulb not blowing out?

nickypav

Im tired of my bulbs blowing out. I got new digital light timers that are easy on the turn offs unlike the adjustable click gear ones that i have had plenty of problems with but i had a bulb blow after 3 weeks. Im tired of buying bulbs. Its an 8.5 inch lamp zoo med. any tricks please?

Does it have a starter on that model. If it does, update to newer automatic start models. Email me a pic or link of exact model and will look at it. I have all Zoomed Aqualamp T5 HO fixtues and have never had a bulb blow. Make sure to mist downward and not up towards light, obviously. Other than those two ideas, completely befuddled. They burst from extreme hot to cold, vise versa, also. Mine all have a 25-40w heat bulb pressed up against them, and no issues either. Stumped, but that is hard either.

Does it have a starter on that model. If it does, update to newer automatic start models. Email me a pic or link of exact model and will look at it. I have all Zoomed Aqualamp T5 HO fixtues and have never had a bulb blow. Make sure to mist downward and not up towards light, obviously. Other than those two ideas, completely befuddled. They burst from extreme hot to cold, vise versa, also. Mine all have a 25-40w heat bulb pressed up against them, and no issues either. Stumped, but that is hard either.

Hey James, this is the one i have
http://www.petguys.com/-09761232120...c1xYZb_--0VrGC-f6lvo_WaZw1ivgWK9sBRoCmIvw_wcB

And you only use 25 watt bulbs? or what do you mean by pressed up against? i use 100 watt bulb. misting doesnt break it, they just randomly blow out on me. Also blow out mite be the wrong term lol they just burn out and stop working

Also isnt the aqualamp UVB?

Now I understand. I use regular household 25-40w incadescent bulbs ($2.50 for a 2 pack @ walmart) for basking. My household temp is 77°f, and about 82-85°f directly under lights. The basking fixture sits atop the cage right next to dual T5 HO linear hood. The basking light is in the back, with the UVB across the middle of the cage. I use 25w for summer and 40 for winter. I have hardwood floors over a concrete foundation, which can be hard to keep warm in winter. Some bulbs blow easily, while others last years. Depends on the brand and your luck.

Hey James, this is the one i have
http://www.petguys.com/-09761232120...c1xYZb_--0VrGC-f6lvo_WaZw1ivgWK9sBRoCmIvw_wcB

And you only use 25 watt bulbs? or what do you mean by pressed up against? i use 100 watt bulb. misting doesnt break it, they just randomly blow out on me. Also blow out mite be the wrong term lol they just burn out and stop working

Also isnt the aqualamp UVB?

So the bulbs that are "blowing out" on you are the incandescent basking bulbs? I don't use any of the specialized herp basking bulbs. Instead, I use general use exterior halogen spot or floods. They are much sturdier with heavier duty filaments that seem to last a long time.

I had a dome fixture that was just a "bulb blower" when connected to the timer. The bulb would always blow just as the lights kicked on. Then one day, I moved it when cleaning, and it sparked! I'm sure it was a faulty fixture that was either surging or overheating my bulbs. I replaced it with a little bit better quality dome and never had a problem again.

Dome lights are usually cheap or cheaply manufactured. If your bulbs aren't getting wet, it is likely your fixture. Ditto for household light bulbs - some are just duds that blow out quickly. Try a new fixture would be my recommendation to see if you still have the same problem.

I use the same dome. i also use zoomed reptisun basking bulbs and the first 2 pack i purchased were bad. the first bulb blew after 2 weeks and the second one was damaged on arrival, the filament was only half attached. I switched to Fluker's for a few weeks and it didnt happen, so i swapped domes (to a smaller ceramic exoterra) and it didnt happen. i emailed zoo med and they sent me bran new bulbs. I have since swapped back to the zoomed dome i was using and no blows yet.
I really press manufacturer's for quality. If you think you have a faulty dome or bulb, let them know. 98% of the time they will do what they can to restore your interest in them.
Fluker's bulbs last a month or two and are cheap if your in a pinch. i was also told halogen floodlights are cheap and make good basking bulbs. they are 2 for $10.

It's a real pain in the *** because your cham NEEDS that heat. I try to keep a backup. Zoo med bulbs have a guarantee, like the basking bulbs are guaranteed to last 2,000 hours at least. Hold them to it if ya have too. Same with the dome if if you have too

Hey Nickypav,
I use Die-Electric grease on all my bulbs, household and automotive. It takes a lot of the shock and or spark from the bulb connection. Apply to the metal connection areas on your bulbs. You should be able to find this product at any auto parts store.
My bulbs seem to last longer when I use this product. This is what I do.
Good luck, Dave

So the bulbs that are "blowing out" on you are the incandescent basking bulbs? I don't use any of the specialized herp basking bulbs. Instead, I use general use exterior halogen spot or floods. They are much sturdier with heavier duty filaments that seem to last a long time.

I read somewhere that these kinda lights can be harsh on chameleons eyes? if not im for sure going to do this. Ive been using the repti basking bulb 100 watt. they just dont last for me. ive always wanted to try flood and other house bulbs but ive read mixed reviews on them. they for sure last longer hands down

The heat bulbs I use are the small oven / fridge style with the small clamp lamp from Home Depot. Usually, they last 1-2 years. Occasionally, you get a bad one. Just spend the extra $1-2 for a good GE or similar bulb, and no worries. I still use the cheap ones though. :p

I read somewhere that these kinda lights can be harsh on chameleons eyes? if not im for sure going to do this. Ive been using the repti basking bulb 100 watt. they just dont last for me. ive always wanted to try flood and other house bulbs but ive read mixed reviews on them. they for sure last longer hands down

It really depends on how the light is positioned and if your particular chameleon is sensitive to lights. You will know if he or she hides in the shadows a lot of keeps one or both eyes closed during the day. Extreme reactions can also include swelling of the eye turret, but those seem to be rare and usually only happen with extreme amounts of light (like multiple bulbs or plant growing lights).

A lot of people use exterior flood lights for basking with no problem. If your cham is sensitive, you can always switch to something else and not be out $$$ because the flood lights are fairly cheap.

Regular incandescent household bulbs (the old fashioned round kind) might work too (I use them for my Jackson's that are sensitive to high temps), but they do seem to burn out quickly, for me anyway. It seems like I change it once a month or so, but thankfully they are cheap too.

From my experience, The ZooMed basking bulbs are complete garbage. $8-12 each, and I've never had one last for more than 2 months. Do yourself, your chams, and your wallet favor.......go to the hardware store and buy yourself a couple boxes of regular household white incandescent bulbs. I use 38 watt for summer and 57 watt for winter. For less than $10 I bought 2 boxes of each (16 bulbs total) .......3 or 4 years ago, and I still have several left.

It really depends on how the light is positioned and if your particular chameleon is sensitive to lights. You will know if he or she hides in the shadows a lot of keeps one or both eyes closed during the day. Extreme reactions can also include swelling of the eye turret, but those seem to be rare and usually only happen with extreme amounts of light (like multiple bulbs or plant growing lights).

He climbs on the cage rite under the bulb all the time, i dont think he has any sensitiveness to it lol thanks for all the help everyone. Im going to switch to some flood

I've never noticed eye problems using halogens. Maybe you are confusing these with compact fluorescents?

Back
Top Bottom