Does anyone feed earthworms??

Hello kkagy, welcome to the chameleon forums :)

Earthworms look good on that nutrition chart, but they can get pretty messy sometimes. I don't use them.

Feeding chams a variety of insects is always encouraged, and mealworms can be part of that. I don't think using mealworms as a primary food source is a good idea; I am sure you agree after reading that excellent article. Most people that are unable to offer a constant variety use crickets or silkworms as a staple diet for their cham(s), adding variety when possible. I usually use 3-4 different kinds of feeders a week, with silkworms or crickets being the main staple.

Hi Kkagy,

That is a great article. The biggest reason that more people don't use earthworms is because most chams don't recognize them as a food source. I tried it a couple times with my cham, and he seemed horrified and ran to the other side of the cage. If you decide to give it a try, you need to find farmed ones because wild caught often contain pesticides and lawn nutrients.

Heika

Thanks for the info and welcome. I wouldn't have guessed that a cham would run away from the worm after all the things they eat. I am hopping that I can find a local store that sells silkworms because I am not big on online orders, but I just might have to get used to it.

Heika said:
I tried it a couple times with my cham, and he seemed horrified and ran to the other side of the cage.

Heika

ROFL.... He seemed horrified and ran to the other side of the cage... That vision put a smile on my face and made me laugh. How cute! What a scary thing that must of been to see a slimy earthworm! :D

Back
Top Bottom