Do your research, Valspar!!

MarieMc44

:mad::mad::mad:Just wondering if this bothered anyone else who loves these beautifully majestic creatures... It might be a great brand of paint but the lack of research or basic disregard is very apparent in their ads. I mean I can even look past the fact that Valspar is indulging in the myth that chameleons change color to their environment, but common!!
valspar-signature-chameleons-it-says-blue-large-2.jpg

Although they are voiced as a male and female, clearly those are two males. Either voice them over as a same sex couple wanting to reno their enclosure or take away one hemipenal bulge and make an anatomically correct female. What's the matter with you!?!?!?!

It's been so long since I've seen that movie that Chamie's weren't even in my knowledge base then, but i'm sure it would have eerked me and Disney would have gotten a letter!!

:mad::mad::mad:Just wondering if this bothered anyone else who loves these beautifully majestic creatures... It might be a great brand of paint but the lack of research or basic disregard is very apparent in their ads. I mean I can even look past the fact that Valspar is indulging in the myth that chameleons change color to their environment, but common!!
valspar-signature-chameleons-it-says-blue-large-2.jpg

Although they are voiced as a male and female, clearly those are two males. Either voice them over as a same sex couple wanting to reno their enclosure or take away one hemipenal bulge and make an anatomically correct female. What's the matter with you!?!?!?!

I mean, if valspar did their research then using chameleons in their commercials would be pointless. I think the ads are cute.

I think the Valspar ad is cute, too. Maybe not totally correct, but cute.

I took my Veiled (named Pascal) to school to show my students and they were disappointed that he couldn't change to a plaid pattern or turn purple like they'd seen on TV.

I hadn't seen this commercial before. I am amazed they used real chameleons and not cheap anatomically incorrect animation. Seems like they actually put some effort into that commercial.

Advertising is the opposite of reality anyway :)

I hadn't seen this commercial before. I am amazed they used real chameleons and not cheap anatomically incorrect animation. Seems like they actually put some effort into that commercial.

The vast majority of viewers don't understand the reality about chams and never will. If this had been some sort of junk-science documentary or if they claimed some sort of reality, I'd have been outraged, but they didn't. It was just a gimmick to sell a product. Personally I enjoy the ads and like how realistically they are portrayed (color excepted)!

If they had to portray chameleons according to complete reality, they wouldn't be able to use them in their commercial at all.

If they had to portray chameleons according to complete reality, they wouldn't be able to use them in their commercial at all.

:D So true! They would just hide from the camera or attack it! Most of my chams hated camera lenses.

It's just a commercial. I don't think it's meant to be used as an educational tool. Just selling paint.
I do love that commercial.

Most people think chameleons change color to match their environment... so what? Its a common misconception. We all know better

Most people have never seen a panther chameleon in person.

This commercial shows two male panther chameleons yet one of them as a woman's voice! and if we are gonna get mad at that then also think: chameleons don't own houses and buy paint to change the room colors... its just an ad

I bring chameleons to the zoo I work at for educational shows. I ask "What do you know about chameleons?" Every single person knows that chameleons can change color. But when I explain how they do not change color to match their environment everybody is like "oooohhhh??!?!"

My husband actually works for Valspar, so his coworkers tease him that that's why we keep chameleons, lol. And they asked if chameleons can really change any color, of course.

At least the chameleons look semi-realistic instead of the amalgam of breeds they usually end up with. Like Pascal, what is it? I don't think it occurred to them there is more than one species of chameleons. :)

At least the chameleons look semi-realistic instead of the amalgam of breeds they usually end up with. Like Pascal, what is it? I don't think it occurred to them there is more than one species of chameleons. :)

I'm pretty sure Pascal is supposed to be a Veiled. Pascal is another story... I mean, he has EYELIDS!!! (Plural) :eek: What are they teaching children these days? Sheesh! ;)

I know that chameleons change colors for several reasons like anger, basking, mood in general, but I also believe to some degree they change to blend in to their environment whether intentional or not I can't say. Ever look for a veiled chameleon and have a real hard time finding it? Now this may not hold true for panthers I don't know I've never owned one, but IMHO it is assuredly true for some species. Herpetologist said chameleons had no ears so they can't hear. Well I know for a fact my chameleon responds to the slightest noise if that isn't hearing what is it?

Last edited:
Don't be so cereal

Am I really mad?? No, not really lol. Just thought it would be a fun discussion. I think it's awesome they decided to use panthers... And to be honest, if I saw this commercial 6 months ago, I wouldn't have questioned anything!!! But now I know, and so do you. All fun and games till your chameleon asks to enter show biz...

Back
Top Bottom