Do you think Camo is a red bar?

Kalistina

Camo is my first chameleon and even though I have read up on husbandry, care, and insect breeding, I know nothing about locale and traits.

If you saw this chameleon at a reptile show, what would you label him? Currently 6 months and 8 days.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382482554534.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382482554534.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 173
I forgot to add that the sire is a red bar. I didn't come up with that out of the blue *lol* No pun intended.

It is clearly not a red bar anything. If it were, there would be "red bars". :rolleyes:

If the female had strong blue-bar lineage, then it is easy for this offspring to be as it is even if the sire was red bar.

It is also most certainly not a Faly. It looks to be mostly Ambilobe, but frankly, is probably a bit of a mixed Locale. An undeniable characteristic of Ambilobe is to have red-orange mixed on the dorsal spikes. Regardless of the colors beneath that, true Ambilobes have some red-orange on the dorsal ridge. When we pulled the first Ambilobes out of bags on Florida soil 11 years ago, it was the one consistent trait. I do not see that. But the rest of the pattern leans heavy towards Ambilobe.

I understand he doesn't have red bars. I didn't want to assume anything considering his father clearly has thick red bars, so this is why I'm asking :)

I'm just curious if mixing locales was common or usually an accident.

I understand he doesn't have red bars. I didn't want to assume anything considering his father clearly has thick red bars, so this is why I'm asking :)

I'm just curious if mixing locales was common or usually an accident.

In my experience, it would be difficult for an male with "thick red bars" to produce offspring devoid of any red-barring.

As for mixing of Locales, it is more often than not accidental, where someone has a female which they did not produce, but which they purchased as such-and-such, and it ended up being not quite so. That someone sold a female that was not-as-advertised ..... that is far more deliberate.

I'm not the best at identifying locales, but he seems pretty ambilobe to me. He still has quite a bit of coloring up to do, so he could end up completely different looking than he is now. Only time will tell (thats half the fun of panthers though, right? :))

Back
Top Bottom