Do you hang your mantis ooths?

SueAndHerZoo

Established Member
I've YouTubed and read a few articles about hatching ooths and some mention hanging them from the top of an enclosure so the mantis can hatch and exit the egg via some strings, but others mention just putting them in their enclosures and letting it happen that way. I'm going to hatch my 5 ooths in five separate containers (purchased on Amazon) but wondering if I need to figure out a way to hang them or just put them on the bottom?

Any feedback or experience with hanging versus not hanging?
Sue

The instructions I received with my ooths said to hatch them in a paper bag. I just put them in the bag and sprayed the bag with water every couple of days to give the humidity needed.

The instructions I received with my ooths said to hatch them in a paper bag. I just put them in the bag and sprayed the bag with water every couple of days to give the humidity needed.
Wow, that's one I hadn't read yet.... I guess there's more than one way to hatch an ooth! Since I have five, I may try five different methods for future reference.
Sue

omg i left mine in an open container ~until i figured out where to put it for hatching time...~ jokes. they hatched 4 WEEKS EARLY! I walk in to this chaos and realize there are literally mantises on every surface of my home - in my coffee, my purse, my hair, crawling inside my ps4. total disaster. i wrangled as many as i could into separate containers and i made it out with about 20 that are mid size now. but i still find little ones dead in random places all the time. so yeah..that's how i hatched my ooth.

Attachments

• IMG-5150.jpg
    IMG-5150.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 70
Oh no! That's almost funny, but not funny for you. Lesson learned! :) Have you hatched any since that fiasco?
Sue

I have 4 ooths right now that should hatch any day. 2 carolina, 2 chinese. my guy ate all the remaining ones from that chaotic batch before they got too big
3 out of 5 of my ooths hatched within 2 days of me receiving them - what a surprise! The other two still haven't so not sure if they are duds are just not due yet but I'll be ready for them if they do. The ones I have put into my chameleon cages I never see again so I HOPE they are busy eating fungus gnats, but chances are they have already become chameleon food. I have a separate enclosure in which I am trying to raise a few mantis to adulthood just because I think they are so cool.
Sue

Where are you ordering these from ? This is the first I’ve heard of this . Once they hatch how do you keep them fed ,

Where are you ordering these from ? This is the first I’ve heard of this . Once they hatch how do you keep them fed ,
Don't remember if I got mine from EBay or Etsy but there were plenty of sellers..... not sure if it's seasonal or not, though. Once they hatch you need to keep them provided with flightless fruit flies.
Sue

I ordered my carolina ooths from insectsales.com. Haha kind of took a risk there since it seemed possibly not legit, but they arrived quickly and intact! then the chinese ooths i get from amazon. they have alot of different options on there, but just for chinese mantids as far as i can tell.

I ordered my carolina ooths from insectsales.com. Haha kind of took a risk there since it seemed possibly not legit, but they arrived quickly and intact! then the chinese ooths i get from amazon. they have alot of different options on there, but just for chinese mantids as far as i can tell.
Well I’m looking for feeders , all I found so far , it’s either eggs or very expensive pretty ones 🤣🤣 and though I love my chameleons a bunch they’re not getting a $30 bug

Back
Top Bottom