Do superworms smell?

I usually don’t like the substrate they come in, which is typically a bran product and high in phytic acid. I dump that substrate and replace it with alfalfa for rabbits. Add a carrot and you have an edible substrate that supplies all of their needs and keeps them hydrated. And no, only dead superworms stink.

This

Yes, I agree...they are pretty gross. Remind me of the sand worms in Beetlejuice for some reason. My beardie is a superworm junkie though and I have to give him his occasional ‘fix’.

I usually don’t like the substrate they come in, which is typically a bran product and high in phytic acid. I dump that substrate and replace it with alfalfa for rabbits. Add a carrot and you have an edible substrate that supplies all of their needs and keeps them hydrated. And no, only dead superworms stink.
Stupid question but can I use the alfalfa we use for horses? Is it the same?

I’ll have to try that next time. I currently have them in a bin of soil, hoping they’ll pupate and do their thing to make some babies.

I've had no problems keeping them with a well-ventilated cover except that:
  1. They can & will eat through some plastics.
  2. Leave enough room above the substrate or they will climb out.

I've had no problems keeping them with a well-ventilated cover except that:
  1. They can & will eat through some plastics.
  2. Leave enough room above the substrate or they will climb out.
I am now officially scared of them 🙂 (I have an order coming)

Back
Top Bottom