Do silkworms smell?

Gingero

Neptune the Chameleon
Site Sponsor
Random question, but do silkworms smell? Do dead silkworms smell? I know hornworms can get a little smelly because of their food and don't get me started on a dead one...

Dead ones aren't great.. but not like cricket stench. Chow smells just lovely. Like a nice summer day with flowers :hilarious: I am being sarcastic...

They are a pretty clean feeder. You have to deal with them spinning silk webs everywhere in their container but they are not icky like some.

I also haven't had any dead ones before. I've only gotten silks once and they were gone quick.

I've heard the dead ones "liquify".... Anyone have any experience with silkworm soup (I'm exaggerating)?

Is the chow smell similar to hornworm food smell?

No, it is basically ground mulberry leaves. When you mix it with hot water and heat it is very strong smelling until it cools.

I also haven't had any dead ones before. I've only gotten silks once and they were gone quick.

I've heard the dead ones "liquify".... Anyone have any experience with silkworm soup (I'm exaggerating)?

My only experience with liquid worms is when I get them in from being shipped. I always seem to end up with one or two that die during the shipping process. They are pretty nasty. I have never had die offs once at my house.

I’ve never specifically stuck my nose into my silky container, but have never noticed any odor. The chow is quite pungent when I make it though.

Random question, but do silkworms smell? Do dead silkworms smell? I know hornworms can get a little smelly because of their food and don't get me started on a dead one...
Yes, dead silkworms can smell awful. If you keep the container clean and toss any dead worms, you'll be fine.

Yeah, once I ran out of chow for my silks and before the new chow arrived, they had already died, poor guys. :(
The dead worms really did start to "liquify", and it was pretty gross. I think that's about the closest I've seen to "silkworm soup" lol.

Back
Top Bottom