Do panthers have the best temperament?

Jabba93

Established Member
I only have a young veiled cham, and he’s got quite the attitude. I know that ALL chameleons dislike excessive handling, but my question is, do panthers have less aggression? I have seen very few videos of panthers hissing and biting (though I’m sure some Panther owners will prove me wrong) what chameleon species is known to have a more “tolerant” temperament?

Veiled chameleons get sort of a bad reputation, and it could be self inflicted :p, but they are not all nasty. My boy Zaphod was a little cage aggressive at times once he reached his first year, but also was very happy when he was out and exploring or just sitting on my hand. He mellowed as he got older and would actually ask to come out. So far with Raistlin I notice he does not hide in his enclosure at all, but will puff up if he is not in the mood :). He is still a bit unsure about being outside of the enclosure but shows little to no visible stress when out. Still taking it slow...

IMPO, panthers are the best! (Granted, I own only panthers, but they are so sweet and rarely get pissed at you!)

Veiled chameleons get sort of a bad reputation, and it could be self inflicted :p, but they are not all nasty. My boy Zaphod was a little cage aggressive at times once he reached his first year, but also was very happy when he was out and exploring or just sitting on my hand. He mellowed as he got older and would actually ask to come out. So far with Raistlin I notice he does not hide in his enclosure at all, but will puff up if he is not in the mood :). He is still a bit unsure about being outside of the enclosure but shows little to no visible stress when out. Still taking it slow...

Did you tame him at all? I tried getting him out of his cage once and he hissed and took a few bites at me. He’s fine with hand feeding and I can lure him out of his cage a few times, but that’s about it.

I have a young veiled and so far he has been very friendly, he is a little hesitant to being handled but then willing climbs on and shows no stress at all. He only occasionally gets pantsy when I'm looking at him for too long and he has hissed at my little sister that came over to visit when she was watching him and talking but I haven't seen him do that before or since. Hes a lovely little guy at the moment but i think it's just a case of getting lucky with friendly one also he was handled everyday at the reptile shop I got him from so I think that helped.

Its such a hard choice i think having both would be the best option because they both have such a different personality, and both can be aggressive or friendly which in my opinion with time you can make any chameleon friendly once they are used to you my panther hasnt puffed up at me in like a whole month ive had him for 3-4 he lets me handle him and everything hes a sweat heart also i just got a veiled that im now obsessed with him because he so different then the panther, i just think it all depends on how you care for them. It all comes down to you and what you want a panther is gonna cost a lot more, also a you can always go the baby route i dont think theyre really ever aggressive they can be but definitely tolerate it. Just dont be disappointed if it is aggressive.

Its such a hard choice i think having both would be the best option because they both have such a different personality, and both can be aggressive or friendly which in my opinion with time you can make any chameleon friendly once they are used to you my panther hasnt puffed up at me in like a whole month ive had him for 3-4 he lets me handle him and everything hes a sweat heart also i just got a veiled that im now obsessed with him because he so different then the panther, i just think it all depends on how you care for them. It all comes down to you and what you want a panther is gonna cost a lot more, also a you can always go the baby route i dont think theyre really ever aggressive they can be but definitely tolerate it. Just dont be disappointed if it is aggressive.

I agree, I have a veiled but I do really want panther at some point in the future also.

Back
Top Bottom