Do only big crickets chirp?

CloudsMystique

The big crickets I get for my beardie always chirp, and it's SO annoying. But the baby crickets I get for my chameleon don't seem to chirp at all. Do they really not chirp, or is there some other reason they're not chirping?

I'm just curious...

If you dont want them to chirp don't get large crickets get 5 week old crickets. Some people here on the forums sit around and pull off the wings so they cant chirp but I have no time for that. lol I just stick with 5 week olds.:p

-Clemonde

Hm.... Interesting.

Would it be okay to give my bearded dragon twice as many small crickets? I would be annoyed if I were him and had to catch my food twice as often, haha.

Your dragon will most likely only eat crickets that are interesting to him which are giong to be the larger ones it sounds like. You want the crickets to be the size of the space between his eyes measured on the top of his head. So get whatever size cricket that is. Full grown dragons don't care about tiny crickets usually.

I find them much easier to deal with than crickets. Almost no smell and silent, generally easier to handle as well.

No only males chirp. That is their mating call. The males are the ones with the wings. Peel off their wings and they will not chirp. They chirp by rubbing their hind hopper legs against their wings and that creates the sound. That's what the hairs on their legs are for. (Just for your information)

Yeah, it's the wings. You could do what I do (not for the noise, but to avoid that extra chiton(sp) ) and tell your petstore owner to grab 50 Large crickets without wings...I bet they love me.. :p Then you still get the size but without the chirp.

There are a couple stores here that sell crickets. I figured out that one of them doesn't have quite as large "large crickets" as the other. They don't chirp and are just a bit smaller. Whereas the crickets from the other store are the size of a gallon of milk and can be heard throughout the house...

Back
Top Bottom