Do my chameleon Duckys eyes look sunken?

Casque burn is like... Usually it starts as a black spot and can easily become an open wound then scars to look like white or pink. Shedding can be more of an issue with scarred burns. They usually get burned because of poor placement of lights or generally too strong of basking lights.

Casque burn is like... Usually it starts as a black spot and can easily become an open wound then scars to look like white or pink. Shedding can be more of an issue with scarred burns. They usually get burned because of poor placement of lights or generally too strong of basking lights.
What would be to strong of a basking light? I use a daylight blue 60wat bulb and a reptisun 10

After looking at photos of it I wouldn't be shock if he has it. You should of seen the heat lamp they were using for him, it looked like a heat bulb you would use in the bathroom

How do I post I need to ask a question but idk how to make a post

If you want to make a new thread click on the forums button from the home page, then click on an individual board where your thread belongs and then there should be a post new thread button on that screen.

What would be to strong of a basking light? I use a daylight blue 60wat bulb and a reptisun 10

The reptisun maybe a problem just because it is a 10.0 and a reptisun. But it won't burn him, reptisun is more likely to cause issues with eyes especially at higher percentages like 10.0. The 60 watt number is fine, once you daylight blue stops working just replace it with a normal house bulb.

Edit: more specifically an incandescent house bulb.

The reptisun maybe a problem just because it is a 10.0 and a reptisun. But it won't burn him, reptisun is more likely to cause issues with eyes especially at higher percentages like 10.0. The 60 watt number is fine, once you daylight blue stops working just replace it with a normal house bulb.

Edit: more specifically an incandescent house bulb.

Well I just ordered 4 more of the daylight bulbs so after all those are gone I will switch over. Unless they will hurt them then I'll switch over ASAP.

What heat bulb should I use? I have heard so many mixed reviews

You will notice if his eyes start bothering him and it's usually a relatively easy fix especially if it's just too strong of a uvb. Signs that your uvb is too strong, squinting or generally keeping eyes closed during day. What you would usually do is remove the UVB light for the day, maybe take him outside for some regular sunshine and see if he opens his eyes more willing in just normal room light (you want it too look bright enough in the room to be considered day time so he doesn't just sleep). If he doesn't open his eyes at all and continues doing this squinting behavior usually it's a sign of something else much worse.

Heat bulbs are usually more of an issue for more desert reptiles, and tropical species who need warmer temps. Honestly full grown male chameleons do great at 85-88 farenheit and I never go above it. I just end up using whatever wattage incandescent/filament house bulb gets me there. Usually it's a 60 watt, sometimes a 75 watt depending on the general temps.

You will notice if his eyes start bothering him and it's usually a relatively easy fix especially if it's just too strong of a uvb. Signs that your uvb is too strong, squinting or generally keeping eyes closed during day. What you would usually do is remove the UVB light for the day, maybe take him outside for some regular sunshine and see if he opens his eyes more willing in just normal room light (you want it too look bright enough in the room to be considered day time so he doesn't just sleep). If he doesn't open his eyes at all and continues doing this squinting behavior usually it's a sign of something else much worse.

Heat bulbs are usually more of an issue for more desert reptiles, and tropical species who need warmer temps. Honestly full grown male chameleons do great at 85-88 farenheit and I never go above it. I just end up using whatever wattage incandescent/filament house bulb gets me there. Usually it's a 60 watt, sometimes a 75 watt depending on the general temps.

I live in Seattle Washington and sometimes my apartment can drop into the 40'S at night time.

I will switch to normal lightbulbs. So you use normal lightbulbs for both?

Normal light bulbs for both? What no... UVB lights need to be something comprised for producing UVB, house bulbs don't do that. I use 5.0 if I use reptisun. Otherwise I use arcadia 6%. You shouldn't honestly be using any sort of light source at night. If you need general heat, use something that doesn't produce light, which would be a ceramic heat emitter. Any kind of light at ALL will cause sleep disruption for chameleons.

Lol it could very well be my fault too XD passed my bed time too and I know even though I may generally feel functional and awake, it doesn't actually mean my sentence structuring is XD. Plus I was typing that post on my phone. Pretty much guaranteed it's going to be a bit confusing somehow XD sometimes I just don't catch it in time to edit beforehand *shrugs*

Back
Top Bottom