Do I need a drip system?

Qhugh14

I have a 7mo old Fe veiled Cham and I currently have a wicking drop system, but I've noticed that as I'm putting more plants and a lay bin(very soon I need to buy sand but rn is not gravid or shopping her colors), that I don't really have room for my drainage bucket. Is spraying the enclosure enough or what's a good way to set up better drainage. I also don't want to flood the plants or the lay bin.

The main point of a dripper is that it provides a moving water source for a longer period of time than a short hand spraying might. However, if you are very diligent with hand spraying multiple times a day, have lots of vegetation that catches and holds water droplets for a longer time (so the cham can drink over a longer period of time instead of sitting thirsty) you can get away without a dripper. If no one can spray the cage down periodically you would need to look into an automated misting system controlled by a timer.

The humidity level of the room (and the cage) matter too. If you are in a dry climate and your cage tends to dry out fast after you spray it, your cham may not get enough to drink before the leaves dry off and the water evaporates. You know your particular situation better than we do. As for drainage, what's on the cage floor now?

Last edited:
I have a 7mo old Fe veiled Cham and I currently have a wicking drop system, but I've noticed that as I'm putting more plants and a lay bin(very soon I need to buy sand but rn is not gravid or shopping her colors), that I don't really have room for my drainage bucket. Is spraying the enclosure enough or what's a good way to set up better drainage. I also don't want to flood the plants or the lay bin.
I fudged together a collecting cup with tube running out to a waste water container. The dripper drops onto pothos leaves and after 3 drops between leaves, is caught (basically in a funnel) and this runs straight to a waist container. If you figure where the drops are going to end up, it works great and the funnel is well hidden by foliage.

Back
Top Bottom