Do chams bite?

nydiaz

Hi all, I have had my cham since he was 2 weeks old, he is now 3 months old and every time I get close to him he hisses and tries to bite me. What is that about and how can I condition him to come to me or at least not try to bite me. Thanks Nydia:confused:

the easiest way for me to get my cham to like me was to hand feed. he wont bite the hand that feeds him :)

Oh, mine will still bite the hands that feed them occasionally. Chams are kind of like people, they have personalities and moods.

Ha mine bites me every day when I apply his topical medication. But he's 4 inches long so It's pretty amusing....

Putting up a stink

I've read so many threads on biting I just had to post:
I'm a first time panther owner and was really worried about handeling and stressing my cham. I read so much about it that I rarley handled my guy. As he grew up he got more & more pissy. He was really aggressive every time I stuck my hand in the cage. I thought it was because I didn't handle him enough when he was little. Not true, chams are pissy no matter how much love you give. However, I have recetly learn a few things: My guy doesn't like to be approached from behind, he'll alway throw a fit. But when approached from the front he's much more even tempered. Also had to take him to the vet recently and had to handle more often lately. Now I just grab him (whether he's running to hide or not) once he's out he's calm, no stress, no big deal. I also bought a thin gardening glove for those days when he's really in a mood. Helps my confidence a bit, I remove the glove once the hissy fit's over. benn handeling a few minutes every day lately to administer eyedrops, No stress and even seems to like coming out for a bit.

Hope this helps.

I want to thank everyone for making me feel better and for making me laugh so hard that it is hard to reply. So in other words I have a hard cookie to crack. i am a retired vet tech that has handled every reptile except a cham. But that is going to change. I am going to purchace a pair of handling gloves and away I go. How am I suppose to help my cham Mickey if I cant put my hand inside his HUGE cage? I tell you HUGE cage? I am going to take controll like I do for the dogs, cats, Iguanas, snakes and water dragons that have cross my path. Again I thank you for making me laugh again. Nydia

I take Butter out of his cage now a couple times a week to take him outside to his outdoor condo. I think if I gave him the opportunity to bite me, he would. I catch him by picking him up gently, and then firmly holding his little head so he cant turn and bite. I let him dig his little toes in, and wind his tail around my fingers. When he gets to his outside home, he jumps in and glares at me. Same routine coming back in. But when he sees that we are outside, he calms down, as if he might recall where he is headed. But I love his attitude. He is pure teenage boy, who can't talk back.

Back
Top Bottom