Do Chameleons nap?

CameronMcneill

It seems that my chameleon is taking naps later in the day. He tends to shut just one eye (not 1 eye in particular) and lay his head down. As soon as I touch the cage he is back awake with both eyes open. He is very active early in the day. Is this a health problem, or is he just bored and napping?

How close to bedtime is this occuring? Generally napping is a sign of illness. Sometimes chams will go to bed up to 30 min early, which is probably ok.

My panther doesn't nap, his eyes are open until 30 min after lights out and then 30 min before lights are back on.

My pygmy and carpet chams only napped during the day when they were getting old.

What time do you turn the lights on? Your cham could have a differant day cycle then you...

Is he/she still eating, drinking, basking, active, and pooping normal?

I ask about the time because I have some Chams that are on differant cycles-lol. Some will actually bed in an hour to a hour and a half earlier then others. They have been this way since day one... Yeah sounds strange, but some go to bed at 7:00 and others go to bed at 8:00.

Everything is normal with his daily rituals. Watching him today, I noticed he is napping when the sun is going down. So it could just be his sleep cycle.

Is the sun going down when he does this? It could be that he is going to sleep with the natural sun, but since he is only closing one eye, I dont think that is the case. Maybe you can post some pictures and the how to ask for help form just in case.

My baby panther is easily awaken on her sleep unlike the older males. But none of them sleep during the day. However, I have seen older male to prepare his position and just lay down getting ready for bed time about 2 hours before sun sets. I don't know if it's normal.

My guys sometimes get in their favorite sleeping position an hour or so
before lights out, but they do go to sleep for real untill it's totaly dark.

I just you would call it 'relaxing" :)

Back
Top Bottom