Do chameleons like to be handled

holding

I am new to all of this but mine absolutely loves climbing onto me i let him climb on me if he chooses. I NEVER just pick him up it has to be his will. I just talk sweet move slow and let him choose were he wants to be. I absolutely love him and when i purchased him i felt he had actually choose me.

Nicole Rubash..this is an old thread...please read what was said in this thread in jewelledchameleons firt post in this thread...there's a lot of truth there. Chameleons tolerate it for reasons....the do not love it.

Nicole Rubash..this is an old thread...please read what was said in this thread in jewelledchameleons firt post in this thread...there's a lot of truth there. Chameleons tolerate it for reasons....the do not love it.

I didn't say they loved it I said mine loves to fall asleep in my hand.I've never had issues with him feeling stressed out or getting aggressive with and he ain't tha only one I've ever owned either

Nicole...In this thread in answer to the question "do they like to be held"...you said " Yes they do"...nothing about holding one on your hand.
You said later "mine loves to fall asleep in my hand.I've never had issues with him feeling stressed out or getting aggressive with and he ain't tha only one I've ever owned either"... When a chameleon falls asleep in your hand it's usually because it's getting cool from being outside the cage which makes it sleepy. There stress is usually silent. BTW I've been keeping chameleons for almost 30 years.

Welcome to the forum....this is a great place to learn about chameleons!

Chams do not understand "petting" or being held
They're not mammals.

What they like is what being held does for them.
like going outside out of their cages and into the sunlight.
Getting fresh drink of water or an insect.

They can understand that easy enough.

So if being held by their owner is connected with good things
They "They like being held and outside of the cage"
it doesn't become a stressful thing.
One of my animals used to get very restless during breeding season
He always wanted "OUT" of the cage.
Handling him was like him ssaying.... "OMG what a relief THANKS for opening that door
OOOOOH What's that? I Want to see... go over here and show me.
No, I'll walk... Thanks"
"Hey where's that other guy... the one I talk smack too?
Oh there he is <changes colors/displays> I'm rick james bitch"
So yes they can love being handled...
but it also from their standpoint a means to get out of the cage.

Caveat, it's all in how you do things.
grabbing the animal from the top and yanking them from the cage
isn't how to handle them at all. IF that's what you do, then it's best not to touch them.

[edited and added too to illustrate the "rick james" motivation]
lol I love this

Not normally. They generally do not tolerate handling and it causes stress. Stress kills. There are a few exceptions where the chameleon actually chooses to climb out of the cage and onto the keeper. If you are looking for a more tolerant chameleon, buy an adult whose personality is already established.
anytime i pet it as gently as i can it just moves and when i put out my hands it seems like its about to but it dosent. What do you reccomend i do.

My Panther wanted to be let out his cage , we are now chilling on the bed ,with him on my chest as I type

Attachments

• C68C27AD-CAD4-4008-A35C-CB8E04C4372E.jpeg
    C68C27AD-CAD4-4008-A35C-CB8E04C4372E.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 100
Do humans like being branded with a hot iron? That's basically the equivalent most of the time. I am obviously exaggerating but for a reason. If you want a reptile you can handle, go with a Bearded Dragon or something with similar disposition. Some chameleons can be tamed, some seem to "enjoy" it even. Most, want nothing to do with you...

Back
Top Bottom