Do chameleons doze?

I doubt it'sa lack of vitamin A as nutrobal has that. I would use way less if I were you. Try lowering temps to 80 degrees F and misting for a few minutes at a time. Remove the red light as it could be keeping him up at night and causing him to be sleeping in the day. Substrate always leaves a risk of impaction, by using real plant and misting longer the humidity will stayup longer.

EDIT: you should be gutloading with greens like kale, dandelion greens, collard greens, endive, and mustard greens. Use fresh veggies like carrots, yams, squash, and fruits like apples, oranges, and berries.

Last edited:
eyes open

I was told by a breeder that chameleons close their eyes when not much is happening.
The supplement at the bottom of the cage was to keep the humidity up, i will talk to the pet shop about it.
Thanks
A

They should have there eyes open when they are awake. some times a vitamin A dificiency can cause them to start closeing thier eyes.

Thank you soooo much.
With the red light. I turn off everything during the night time. But i will look into a white heat lamp.
With the gut loading. I feed the locusts lettuce and grated carrot every day. I also mist the food so that the locusts get their daily water intake.
And finally, Apollo is starting to shed his skin, i noticed it yesterday, i dont know if this helps.
Thank you very much for all the support and advice.
A

Oh yes!
And about the ventilation...at the back of the cage is a plastic strip which had lots of hole in it. This is meant to let out the moist air. I hope.....
Thanks
A

Oh yes!
And about the ventilation...at the back of the cage is a plastic strip which had lots of hole in it. This is meant to let out the moist air. I hope.....
Thanks
A

It's hard because we all know here that in the UK you do things a bit different and, you know, it's weird.

However, my gut feeling is that if there are not at least 2 sides with openings for airflow, you don't have true "ventilation"...you have "air holes"...that's what animals being shipped get...not what animals living in your house have.

It's not about being open to air, it's about letting air flow through the cage.

Ya you need to have air being able to enter one side while air exits another very important and the higher a chameleon can go the safer it feels I like keeping the top at about 6 feet tall it also works out good because the heat rises

Am really worried.
Apoolo is closing his eyes and seems to have gone off his food. He is drinking fine, but seems to ignore the food. He has eaten one locust but thats all.
Really dont know what to do...soo scared for him.
I think it may be the UV bulb.
Can someone please reply.
Really scared for him.
A

Thank you soooo much.
With the red light. I turn off everything during the night time. But i will look into a white heat lamp.
With the gut loading. I feed the locusts lettuce and grated carrot every day. I also mist the food so that the locusts get their daily water intake.
And finally, Apollo is starting to shed his skin, i noticed it yesterday, i dont know if this helps.
Thank you very much for all the support and advice.
A

When chams shed, they don't eat so don't worry about food intake. At his age he should shed within 6-8 hours. He will turn white and start to pop off his skin. Still though, they do not close their eyes. How about if you get some screen, cut out the back and put the screen on? That would give him more venilation. It might take a while for him to stop closing his eyes, but if you've made the changes then he should be fine. Unless it's a respiatory issue.

I have contacted a vet, and he said that it might be the UV bulb that i use.
Apollo can sit next to it, which i found out is not good
He should be below it and the vet said that is makes him Lethargic and have swollen eyes causing them to shut.
My dad had bough some netting with which we will cordon off the heat lamp and the uv bulb.
I have also realised that many of you think that i have a long uv bulb. But i have a compact one. The vet said he prefers this one as it is more like the sun.
Apollo is drinking plenty and seems to have his eyes open a bit more this afternoon. Will still monitor him though.
Thank you sooooo much for the advice, it has been really useful and nice to give some of your ideas to the vet so that i can get the right responses.
Thanks
A

I have contacted a vet, and he said that it might be the UV bulb that i use.
Apollo can sit next to it, which i found out is not good
He should be below it and the vet said that is makes him Lethargic and have swollen eyes causing them to shut.
My dad had bough some netting with which we will cordon off the heat lamp and the uv bulb.
I have also realised that many of you think that i have a long uv bulb. But i have a compact one. The vet said he prefers this one as it is more like the sun.
Apollo is drinking plenty and seems to have his eyes open a bit more this afternoon. Will still monitor him though.
Thank you sooooo much for the advice, it has been really useful and nice to give some of your ideas to the vet so that i can get the right responses.
Thanks
A

You are welcome. I will tell you that 99.9999999% of members on this forum are against the coil bulb because it can cause issues with the eyes. Just FYI. Here is the most current link discussing the issues.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/subject-coil-uvb-bulbs-36225/

Back
Top Bottom