Do all Chams Enjoy Misting?

mine figured out exactly where he can run to to avoid getting wet in the cage when the mister goes off. usually hes upside down... :D

my veilds hate it for the most part, but sometimes my large male will drink from the nozzle of the mister like a scaley turquise hamster :)

My chams do not like misting at all, I use a dripping system which consists of a small plastic cup with a small hole at the bottom of it...:)

My jackson loves being spayed. He is over a year old and the direct mist is the only way i can get him to drink. I have only once noticed him licking a branch.

Lol, al my chams are apparently spoiled brats because they've all learned to be as lazy as possible, open their mouth and just let me spray directly at them. They're worse than cats...

my guy Splat hates being hand misted.
it's probably the only thing he hates.

he is so calm, cool, and friendly, but mist him and he has even opened his mouth and shaked his head at me in disgust. :p

Harry

My veiled Kai only likes it if I spray slowly and lightly.I use a spray bottle so I just pull trigger slowly so it doesnt make as much noise and he will just chill there forever.

the little pygmy female i have (teeny) hates direct sprays, when the little tiny bits of mist hit her she just sits in it and no worries at all..but the bigger the drops she heads for under the leaves of a plant to wait out the storm so to speak LOL..i do sometimes mist her directly though do to the fact i have substrate and the beardeds are suscpetible to potential debris floating in there eye..

Howdy,

When I hand-mist, I really like my pump-up bottle misters. You have smooth control over the volume as well as the pattern of the mist. Since most models hold between one and two quarts, you won't have to refill during a long misting session. I like to sneak-up starting with a little bit on the tail and then slowly work my way around to their head/mouth area. If there is any reluctance to getting wet, I'll back-off until they get settled down and then start again. I use water that is warm enough such that when I mist onto my hand it feels a little bit warm.

Pump-up bottles like these are only about $7 at Home Depot etc.
Flo-MasterMisters.jpg

not to be a copy cat , but as always i agree with dw, most chams are freaked out by misting with room temp water because of the temp drop upon atomization (a whole nother subject so dont get me started,) but often chams that seem freaked out by room temp water , will become accustomed to, or even learn to enjoy, mistings that are (in the case of hand misting) properly administrated (as dw described), and of the appropriate temp (as dw described), so heating of misting water (here i go) is strongly advised , this means cold water that has been heated, not warm water from the tap . this can be as simple as keeping your misting bottle on top of a small under tank heater or piece of heat tape, if that doesnt raise the temp enough then you can try wrapping your bottle with an insulative material like bubble wrap , you can also keep your bottle in a warmer location like next to (but not under) the lights. for most chams the actual spray should be in the 85-100* range/ edit ps heated water should be changed daily, or more specifically, every evening, so that it is warm by the next morning.

Thanks for the info guys. After having my veiled for 3 weeks now, I've come to terms that my lil guy is not a fan of being misted...no matter the temp. As soon as he sees me grab the bottle he begins is ascent to the protection of the ficus leaves :) An automatic misting system is next on my list...right after i win the lottery (seriously, those things are expensive!).

George hated being misted.

Make sure to use reverse osmosis water too so that you don't get calcium build up on your flora and enclosure!

The water in Calgary is so full of minerals, it made his enclosure look gross so i switched to R/O water and problem solved!

I'm sure that fluoride can't be good for their skin either.

Mine hates it but I spray him anyway...it rains in the wild, so he's gotta get used to it. I'm sure its good for their skin too.

Mine seems to like it. so long as i dont spry him too directly. i have a automated misting systems that might be one of the reasons. that and i use room temp water

Last edited:
My Xantho turns his stress colors if he gets wet.
My Multi gapes and does a rapid side to side shake, even if I'm sure he didn't get a droplet on him.
They're quite clear about disliking getting wet!
Water temperature means nothing to them--damp cham = mad cham :eek:

Back
Top Bottom