do 6500k lights produce heat?

chnk

do 6500k lights produce enough heat to replace the basking lamp?

my hibiscus is not doing too well with just the uvb and basking lamp. the basking area tempt is round 85-95 degrees and i should probably keep it that way.

First off, what kind of chameleon do you have? Also, yes the 6.5k bulbs do produce heat. You will still want a basking bulb though. You basking temp should not vary as much as it is. It should stay pretty constant.

sorry was a typo its always between 85-90, depending when the sc comes on in the room. Its a veiled chameleon

If they are the 40W tube style bulbs, yes they produce as much heat as a 40W bulb but spread over a larger area. No, they won't replace a basking bulb because a basking bulb is more focused. If you happen to be in the heat wave, it is ok to turn off your basking bulb if your house is warm enough.

Hibiscus are generally pretty tough to keep indoors. They require a lot of full sun so replicating that in an enclosure without cooking your little friend can be a little difficult.

The 6500K does not produce much heat to speak of I use a dual 48" setup on most of may cages with a 6500k in one side and a 10.0 in the other.
Your other option could be use a LED light. Todd at LYR has the jungle dawn series the has LEDs in the 5.5k -7.5 range providing a awesome full spectrum for plants.

6500k is a light color spectrum. It has nothing to do with heat. The heat emitted, is determined by what type of light and how intense the lighting is. Such as incandescent versus LED and 40 watt versus 120 watt.

6500k is a light color spectrum. It has nothing to do with heat. The heat emitted, is determined by what type of light and how intense the lighting is. Such as incandescent versus LED and 40 watt versus 120 watt.

Yes, and efficiency of the bulb style is one of the more important factors. To get more technical:
http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/html/watts-heat-lights-lamp-heat-output.html

This shows exactly why we choose incandescent bulbs for basking. They are horribly inefficient at converting wattage to light and most is wasted as heat. Perfect for basking.

Back
Top Bottom