DIY Vines

Has anyone tried making the burlap, silicone vines? It says to use ones without mold inhibitors, haven’t had much luck finding the ones they recommended in the videos

Rontti

Established Member
I tried to make those but it turned out to be really really messy and not really worth the effort. I would suggest buying vines from the store unless you are going for a really naturalistic look. I think I bought the silicon from a aquarium store. Just search for aquarium safe silicon if you are up for the challenge!! (y)

Haha yeah I have quite a few from the store, was hoping for a bit of a project , I just know some can release ammonia when they cure , and i saw most have the inhibitors , I just wanted to make sure it was safe, thank you :)

dshuld

Chameleon Enthusiast
Do you have a home depot, Lowe's, Wal-Mart near you? I know they have clear ge I silicone which is essentially the same thing as the aquarium silicone for 1/4 the cost.

Screenshot_2018-12-26-18-03-52.png

Last edited:

dshuld

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'll check my tubes when I get home to double check but sounds like you got silicone 2 possibly. Give me a bit to get off the road and I can give a bit more info.

dshuld

Chameleon Enthusiast
Ok thanks , good to know technically both are safe if cured properly , thanks again

Sorry, isopod maintenance day lol. Yes, each is designed to cure differently for different uses but both are 100% silicone. Many years ago I read a thread that had a reply from ge that stated they manufacture the all glass aquariums branded silicone and it is the same as ge 1. Part of their contract though is not stating ge 1 is aquarium safe.

I've used #2 on a reseal of one of my 75's with no issues though not intentionally. Though currently not in use it's been in there since 2005/ 2006. Lola's cage has #2 in it sealing the plastex corners. Just give plenty of gas off time.

Top Bottom